1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New house blues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like the termites already got that covered, 21.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The mud tunnels should be a giveaway. I'm clueless and I know that (from owning a home, Hustle, not calling YOU clueless). That should have been a serious red flag to any inspector.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That inspector screwed up big time.

The good news is most termite damage is easily fixable. For light infestations, it's just a matter of replacing a stud here or a beam there.

Get a termite contract with a pest control company. We've got one with Terminix. They keep the termites away, and if they don't they have to pay to fix any termite damage.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nah . . . but reverse mortgage option exists down the road. An extra $1,000 per month may come in handy.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Reverse mortgages are very expensive. Lots of non-negotiable fees. MI for instance.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Considering my house has doubled in value the past 10 years, as interest rates have kept mortgage payments less than rent, I'd say owning has its advantages.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Termite sex has nothing on the human act of slapping skin.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

True, because there isn't any competition. But there will be.

In any event, having a bank pay you $1,000 every month > paying a landlord $1,000 every month.

That's a $2,000 swing . . . every month for the rest of your life.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Just to update everyone: just as we were finally settling in - no termites and a working fridge - i woke up this morning to find my car gone. There's a slim chance it got towed, but the cops don't yet have a record of it. They asked me to call back in an hour just to make sure it doesn't pop up. So yeah, this really may be the breaking point.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm, no termites AND the car gone.

I guess they made their getaway.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just heard from Hustle. His car WAS towed, so all is relatively OK.

He told me to update you guys.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So the termites took it to get fixed... awful nice of the new neighbors...

Draft saved Draft deleted