1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hobby at 50

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 15, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Gardening.
    I wish I had gotten into it earlier.
    I find it very fulfilling, and a good use of my time.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Outing: Fart is Cam Neely

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Was talking to a guy who is working on a tube amp for me and he mentioned that Hammond organ guts can make great guitar or stereo amps. Reminded me of this thread, so just passing it along on a slow Friday afternoon.

Jon Lord could wield a mean Hammond.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

that's cool.

I just found a guy's vlog about a similar project

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If I may offer one cautionary note...

Hanging ten is cool...

Hanging eleven might get you arrested. ;)

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I submit model train collecting, members and moderators.
    Finally summoned the resources to rightly chase this boyhood passion.
    One of my life's dreams is to have a train room.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fourteen years ago at the age of 39 I finally dove in and signed up for lessons. Stuck with it and am so glad I did. Played in a band for a little while but I'm just happier playing what I want to play on my couch. I should practice more and push myself to get better, but I can play a lot of songs and I have the capacity to learn the ones I can't play. A year ago I even started giving lessons to a friend of mine for a few months, and she's picking it up nicely.

Do it, and stick with it.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Was elsewhere and saw something I thought I should pass along. Read this if you haven't already moved it:

if you do get it, be sure to lock the tonewheel assembly down before moving it. If you don't, it will flail around on its springs and might get trashed. There should be four bolts with funky washers - remove the bolts, reverse the washers, replace the bolts and tighten. If they're missing, you can get by with four shorter bolts (10-32, iirc) and four fender washers, but please have a quick Google to make sure that I'm not misinforming you - it's been a while and my memory may be faulty.

From an audiophile joint.

Even if this doesn't apply to your model, still look for locking screws / nuts to tighten during transport.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So it's five months later.

Wonder if PCLoadLetter can update us on whether or not he's learning guitar.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good question. Check in, PC.

Actually I've been playing electric guitar and bass almost exclusively for the past year or so, but I've been asked to do a little acoustic solo set at a thing in April. Need to practice up and get back in the swing with acoustic.

Got a uke for Xmas. I can get through a simple I-IV-V progression in couple of keys and I can find a few ornamentation notes within those, but I can't really play it yet.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The update is... no, not playing yet, but get back to me in a few months.

In my earlier post I mentioned putting together a music room. It was a nursery turned guest room/storage space -- filled with crap, with yellow and green walls with a zoo animals border. This past weekend I finished the transformation into this:

[​IMG]

So, no excuses now. I've done the room; time to use it.

By the way, the maroon lefty Strat and the lefty Ibanez bass are mine. The rest belong to my 16 year old son, who can play them quite well. Nightly conversation:

Me: You do your homework yet?
    Son: You play your guitar yet?

So, this weekend I plan to get at it. I'll try not to bail so easily this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's sweet.

I have a room at home I use as an office/music room, but it's a disaster.
    Just instruments and gear all over the place. I'm not a tidy person.

I've got some wall hooks, and not long after the house was finished I installed one. Hard to believe it's about five years ago now.
    Anyway, I missed the stud, and the wall hook ended up ripping a big chunk out of the wall. It also dumped the guitar that was hanging, luckily onto a little couch beneath it.
    I hung a picture of Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth over the hole and kept it hidden for a year.

I am neither tidy nor handy.

Draft saved Draft deleted