1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hobby at 50

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Here's a great site for guitar. Its where I learned to play. It has chords to pretty much any song you want, with diagrams on how to play them. I found it much more enjoyable going at my own pace, playing what I wanted to play, then doing formal lessons.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I took up horseback riding when I turned 50 and started dabbling in race car driving experiences. Both are great fun.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not really an issue of easier or forgiveness.
    The technique you develop on acoustic is easier to translate to electric.
    It doesn't translate as well the other way.

Also, when you strum first position chords, it's more satisfying on acoustic.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I will be the owner of a Hammond Organ soon. I have no earthly idea how to play it, but I want to learn.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Love this, Bub! Keep us updated, please

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just bookmarked the site, SST, thanks..

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

I really want a theremin,
    And a piano,
    And a hammer dulcimer.

I bought a 1958 Kay archtop in May. It is sweet.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I have not taken the plunge yet. A guitar-playing friend and the sales guy at Guitar Center both suggested getting my daughter a full-size guitar if she's interested in playing, which she is. So if we get her the full-sized electric, I'll just use it when she's not playing it instead of us buying two guitars. We'll see how that goes for a while. If she and I both enjoy playing, then I'll probably go ahead and get my own. I just really don't want to be learning on a pink guitar decorated with flowers, which is what she'll want. : )

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's been a Hammond sitting in my in-laws kitchen for as long as I've known my wife.

Found out earlier this week that my mother-in-law was going to have it taken away AND BURNED. She has not one sentimental bone in her body.

I told my wife I'd do what it takes to save it. It will require renting a truck to move it, but move it I will.

Pretty sure it's a Hammond L 100, a spinet. Big with 60s British artists, and later, prog rock fuckers.

[​IMG]

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Looks like the one Gregg Allman plays.

11. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

I think the older you get the more important it is to try to keep learning new skills, just to keep all the parts working, mind and body - let's face it, we all sit in front of a screen most of the day. Since moving to VT I learned to skate and ski and kayak, I've swapped running for biking, and I've learned to play the bodhran, an Irish drum, well enough to play in a band. Anything to take my head away from words for awhile.

12. rascalface

rascalface Member

Guitar is an awesome hobby, even more so if it's something you can share with your kid(s). I've been playing for years, though I'm faaaaaar from an expert, But it wasn't until the last year when I ponied up for a real teacher, and my skills have increased dramatically. Learning on your own is OK, and there are websites and videos on YouTube for just about everything (techniques, theory, even play-along/backing tracks and fairly detailed vids for just about any song you can imagine). Still, from experience, I'd recommend hiring a teacher from the start if you have the dough. That way you won't have to unlearn so many bad habits/techniques like me.

As for acoustic vs. electric, to me it's all about what's going to inspire you to pick up the instrument every day. I'd also recommend not spending a gazillion dollars on a first guitar. There are a lot of very well made entry-level acoustic guitars for under $200 that will get you out of the gate quickly (Yamaha line is a pretty good place to start looking).

Draft saved Draft deleted