1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New here, but don't take it easy!

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by pressboxramblings07, Mar 29, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't always agree with my publisher. In fact, I disagree with him on a number of things, but one thing I agree with him on is to maintain your focus on your local issues and local communities rather than write a national story/column.

I wrote a column (which I really liked) about counter-insurgency warfare and he told me that I should stick with county or state-related topics. Granted, the way he said it was, "I'd stay away from doing that if I were you" rather than the "don't ever do it" he would say to the other editor, but I do think you're better off writing about your local community's stuff instead.

If you happen to be in a local sports bar with a lot of Colts fans and you get quotes from them, perfect. If you happen to know Peyton Manning and he calls you and gives you that stuff, feel free to run with it. But if you don't regularly cover the Colts or the Patriots, you shouldn't really be writing about it for your paper.

As far as the execution goes, I like the wrinkle you introduced, but I think it went on a bit too long. At first, you had me going "why is this guy openly rooting for the Colts if he's supposed to be objective?"

Draft saved Draft deleted