1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New here, aspiring young writer

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by DePaulfan21, Dec 4, 2011.

1. DePaulfan21

DePaulfan21 New Member

Um I hope I don't get in trouble for putting this here, didn't know where else it should go ??? Anyway I'm young, only 16 but my goal is to become a sports journalist which is why I joined this site, I was wondering if some people could help me, say I write an article and you critique it for me and help me work on revising because from what I've read from topics while lurking the boards, a lot of you are very good writers and that's what I hope to be, so I hope some of you will be nice enough to help me thanks I look forward to meeting you :)

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you work on your high school paper? Make it a story based on your own reporting instead of a column or a game you watched on TV.

3. DePaulfan21

DePaulfan21 New Member

I did last year, but I made two varsity sports this year and I'm in all honors classes so I don't have the time and thank you for the tip!

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Welcome noob. Fetch me a beer...oh, wait, you are 16...Um, go get me a...soda, or something.

Seriously though, send stuff here and we'll look at it.

5. DePaulfan21

DePaulfan21 New Member

Lol thank you I'd appreciate that and I'll get on your soda right away sir.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was in your boat. Only one varsity sport, though. But still.

Make time.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good luck...

Mark Aguirre sucks.

8. DePaulfan21

DePaulfan21 New Member

Working on a piece right now about the Chicago Bears, expecting to post it by tomorrow night depending on what I do tonight because I have family in town

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good luck with that, but I think a high school game might be better for the people on this board to look over.

Did you speak to people when you were researching this?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Unless you personally spoke with a member of the Bears, it's not reporting. You go to high school, which offers plenty of sports. Write a story on that.

11. DePaulfan21

DePaulfan21 New Member

I meant like an opinion type piece but that's good advice, I would've written something by now but I had a close family member die the day before yesterday so I'm extremely busy

12. mrbio

mrbio Member

Good luck young fella. Be creative, never imitate and enjoy sports and the people who play. The people are more interesting than the game itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted