1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hampshire paper shuts down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BostonSouthPaw, Jul 9, 2009.

1. This just came in over the wire:

The Eagle Times newspaper in Claremont, N.H., is filing for bankruptcy and shutting down.
    Publisher Harvey Hill sent an e-mail to staffers Thursday saying Friday’s edition of the paper will be its last.
    He told employees he did his best to keep the daily paper going, but the economy and changes in the newspaper industry have made it impossible to survive. He said employees will get their last paycheck next week and will have health coverage through the end of the month.
    The paper covers the city of Claremont and the surrounding area, including several towns in Vermont.
    Hill did not return a message for comment.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Very interesting ... and sad for all those involved.

I actually spoke with Mr. Hill over the phone in the past few years as they were looking to fill a position. Seemed like someone who was trying the hyper-local news strategy, but I'm not sure how the economy of that area has fared over the past year.

I hope for the best for everyone who worked at the Claremont Eagle-Times.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As a former SE at a weekly in the company, this is sad.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I often would see jobs ads available for that paper. It always seemed like a decent place for someone for their first or second job.

Here's hoping the employees land on their feet.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Applied there. Mixed emotions right now: sad for all employees, elated I wasn't hired.

6. lono

lono Active Member

As a former Claremont resident, R.I.P.

7. Songbird

Claremont. Yes, Claremont! (Remember that mantra?)

Well, looks like the Snooze will be able to own the Upper Valley.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm not just solely taking Hill to task, but I am...

When you run a newspaper (which publishers sometimes don't know how to do), don't you know the importance of making a comment? Thus, refusing to return a message always seems especially lazy to me.

I even know of a newspaper in my parts that, when news breaks about itself, will write a story where reporters use published statements and no comments from editors. From editors!

9. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

So, how many actually stayed to finish the shift? I wouldn't.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Were they in a competition situation? If they were the only game in town and still folded, that is worrisome for everybody.

11. Songbird

The Valley News will now be king of the Upper Valley. The VN has been around for 50-plus years. We were one of the Eagle's weeklies that started up down the street from the VN. They didn't acknowledge us, but our circ grew to just under 10K in 4 years.

If the VN can't expand from its 17K circ to 40 or 50K now that it has no competition, the circ director ought to be fired.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Is this paper part of the Salmon Press? I don't remember.

Sad to see the paper go. A lot of good people and preps up that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted