1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Green Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You might not know of it, because they are supposedly under the pseudonym of Foxboro Hot Tubs for a Green Day side project. It's not confirmed that this band is Green Day, but it sure sounds like them. "Mother Mary" is a great song making its way up the charts, and if you don't hear Billie Joe singing it, you've never heard Green Day before.

http://www.myspace.com/foxborohottubs

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i loved that song:

Out in the street it's 6 am, another sleepless night
    Three cups of coffee, but I can't clear my head from what went down last night
    No we won't have our own little ways, but somehow we keep it together
    You hear me talk, but you don't hear what I say, I guess it don't even matter

Blue morning, blue day, won't you see things my way?
    Blue morning, can't you see what your love has done to me?

I've always listened to your point of view, my ways are cut through men
    And I've always been a patient man, but my patience has reached its end
    You tell me you're leaving, you tell me goodbye
    You say you might send a letter
    Well honey don't telephone, cause I won't be alone
    I need someone to make me feel better

Blue morning, blue morning
    Blue, blue, blue day, yeah

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Maybe it's the second coming of Stiff Little Fingers.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tomas, you're turning into my favorite poster here.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i've told you once i've told you a thousand times: i post here for your entertainment purposes only.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is pretty old, dude. I got the memo on Dec. 10. It's definitely Green Day, and I know for three reasons: That's Billie Joe Armstrong on vocals (as TSP said, he's got one of the most recognizable voices in today's music); Trey Cool is definitely on the skins (though it's a different beat, he's using the same snare, same tightness -- and he, too, is pretty tough to not pick out if you've been listening to them for any substantial length of time); and they've done this before. ...

Those three musicians get entirely too bored sometimes. They've all been in different side-projects. Armstrong was the singer of Pinhead Gunpowder and also wrote under the name Wilhelm Fink (Green Day's got a short song called "The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink"); Cool was in The Lookouts; and Mike Dirnt was the bassist of The Frustrators. All those stints came around or after Dookie hit the charts. But more recently, they did this whole "Are they Green Day or is it someone else?" deal one before, too. At the end of 2003, Green Day teamed up with a couple members of Devo to form The Network, which sounded like a cross of Green Day, with the vocals and drums, and Devo because of the vocals and outlandish beats and style. They made sure not to divulge too much, if any, information about the band -- even though it was put out by Adeline Records, which is run by Billie Joe and his wife, Adrienne (a Minnesotan who was the inspiration for many songs, including 2,000 Light Years Away off "Kerplunk," by the way), among others.

They even went by different names: Fink (Remember Wilhelm?) -- Billie Joe Armstrong; Van Gough -- Mike Dirnt; The Snoo -- Trey Cool; Balducci -- Jason White, who tours with Green Day and was a part of Pinhead Gunpowder; Z -- Bob Mothersbaugh (Devo) on Keyboards; and Captain Underpants -- Mark Mothersbaugh on Keytar.

Don't believe me? Listen to these two songs ... even for a minute. Spike:
    ; and Supermodel Robot:

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Another post by mike that goes above and beyond the call of duty.

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. :D

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I can't believe he went into that much detail about something not associated w/SBTB or Fresh Prince.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mikey's a utility pop culture player. He's so valuable playing multiple roles that he doesn't get an everyday job at one position.

He's our MVP, but if he wants a raise he can go to another fuckin website.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is he going to get a DUI like Ryan Freel did?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxboro_Hot_Tubs

Definitely has a different vibe than that of Green Day, yet it's Green Day. My brain hurts.

Draft saved Draft deleted