1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New golf clubs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

About five years ago, I was taking my Eye 2s in for a re-gripping and saw a set of X-12s on sale as the X-14s were comong out. Bought 'em on the spot and sold my Pings the next day at work.

Against Kool-Aid's advice: As for woods, Moddy, I had a prety good slice with an older 8.5-degree Callaway Hawkeye. For a graduation gift, Mrs. TBF took me to Edwin Watts, and I hit a new MacGregor driver and fairways. MacTech Draw NVG 2. It's built for guys with a slice, and so far, it works. The driver was 400 and the fairway woods were 200 apiece.

I played 27 yesterday and shot 45, 44, 42. I'm happy with that.

2. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Maybe I need to look into that MacGregor! What size is it -- 460cc?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to whine my way into clubs for Father's Day.
    Did anyone look at the eBay clubs?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, Kool-Aid, it's a 460.

Consistently at 270-300 -- and on the LEFT side of a fairway for a change.

I don't have any experience with kock-offs, Moddy. I'd say for $225, it's probably worth a shot.

5. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

• I had one of those drivers and I'm playing it down the left side -- the extreme left side. I'll check that MacGregor out.
    • I also say go for it, Moddy. But really consider a fitting if you're going to start playing more.

6. Moderator1

Don't I just call and say I'm a 5-10 fat guy?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... "and please make sure this set of clubs works well with Hawaiian shirts, Birks and Nats hats."

*ducking*

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm a 5-11 fat (I prefer pudgy) guy with a slow swing speed. The guy I played with for years is a 5-11 fat guy with a fast swing speed (both southpaws). I can't hit his and he can't hit mine.

9. Moderator1

Well, I can't hit anything so I'll just use both of yours.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Just to second, third, fourth and fifth what's been said here (and coming from a golf writer)... GET FITTED.

But don't do it at a place that has a video/indoor range. You and the fitter need to see real ball flight.

Then go buy the clubs elsewhere. (I'm a golf writer in the precise sense, but a poverty-stricken sports writer in the typical sense). Just buy a hat or something else cheap from the fitters as a thank-you.

Getting fitted, and getting O-N-E lesson can help a ton.

Good luck. Hit 'em straight!

11. They've all got murder in their shiny little hearts.
    Don't trust the bastards.

Draft saved Draft deleted