1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New golf clubs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Those who actually know something weigh in here. I've played maybe twice in 10 years. Gave my clubs to my kid, who is enjoying the game even though he called me after his last nine-hole round and said "no ball I hit with a driver was found."
    Anyway, I'd like to get back and play more. When I was playing regularly, I could break 100 and would now and then threaten 90. Had a 22 handicap. Not good. Didn't suck. Would like to get back to that level.
    The world of clubs has changed since I last bought anything.
    Check these out and weigh in with an opinion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230134876340&rd=1&rd=1

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

buy a grill... a lot less frustrating...

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Try to find some that float. ;D

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

email for you in your personal account

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

See what Play It Again Sports has to offer. You can get a nice set there and not break the bank. I hit a Taylor Made Burner 2 (circa 1993) off the tee I got there for 30 bucks. It was $300 back in 1993.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Moddy, I'm no scratch, but my brother-in-law is a teaching pro, so take this for what it's worth: The square-shaped woods are are the new thing in golf because your miss-hits will go further and farther. They look funny, but they'll help you hit fairways.

Are you looking to buy a driver? A driver and some fairway woods? Do you have a set of irons? The clubs you're looking at here are basically knockoffs of the new Callaway Ft-i woods. They'll certainly work for you, but I would recommend going to any local golf shop and asking to demo one, or hit one on a launch monitor just to see what it feels like. And if you bid on these from eBay, make sure you find out what kind of shaft they have. A big guy like yourself probably needs a stiff flex. If you buy something with a regular flex, it will probably feel a bit too whippy and you'll hit it all over the place. If you do want to buy a driver, keep this in mind: Most people don't have nearly enough loft in their driver. There is no way anyone with a 22 handicap should be hitting a driver with anything less than a 10.5 degree loft. The more loft, the less sidespin, the fewer slices.

If you need irons, I'd recommend something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PING-EYE-2-PLUS-BLUE-DOT-KT-STIFF-FLEX-MATCHING-NUMBERS_W0QQitemZ250116881458QQihZ015QQcategoryZ115280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are Ping Eye 2s, and for what they cost, they're great clubs, especially for someone getting back into the game. Ping irons have different lie angles, and these are blue dots. A quick trip to any golf store, and they can tell you what lie angle you should get. Taller guys usually have green or blue.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Moddy: If you're wanting to get back into it, I would suggest going to your local TGW (The Golf Warehouse), and have them fit you for some clubs.......I've never bought a club off EBay, and never will.......let's say the club is an inch too short, an inch too long.......anything like that.

Talk to your local guy, have him fit you for your clubs......doesn't cost any more money, and a lot of times, could even be cheaper.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have Ping Zing 2's (Green Dot)..........luv em, luv em, luv em.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yes, clubs are constantly getting better and they can help players of virtually every ability in small ways. I'm assuming you live in an area with some golf discount stores. You can't go in and buy a golf game. There are dozens of affordable brands that are perfectly acceptable. But don't think you're walking out with clubs that are going to make a difference in you shooting 90 or 95. If you've narrowed your choice down to two and there's a difference of $150, get the less expensive of the two and spend the extra money on a few hours of lessons.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I took lessons once and the pro gave me my money back. Incurable slice, which I cure by lining up for it. The only time I hit it straight is when it is absolute death to hit it straight.

I even slice with slice proof clubs.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What he said.

I've got a set of Ping Eye-2 Blue Dots and love them. Bought them used: 2-iron through SW (a black dot).

Which brings me to one key point.... HYBRID!

Don't swing any iron with a number lower than 5. Replace your 3/4 irons with hybrids. You'll thank me later.

I've got an Adams 4 hybrid (a birthday present from the wife) and a Taylor Made 19-degree hybrid. Love them.

Draft saved Draft deleted