1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New game: Sports writer trivia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 2, 2009.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I want him as a special adviser on every guild negotiating committee in the nation.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Correct on Rudy Martzke

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jack Etkin? :D

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Heh.

Ed Christine.

5. Thought Martzke was with Spriit of St. Louis, where Bob Costa did play by play.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Sullivan has always written fondly of his days as Royko's legman. I'm sure he'll recount stories for you, should you bump into him at a game.

Here's something I remember reading a couple years back:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2007/sep/19/sports/chi-sully-oncubs19sep19

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Speaking of which, I've always thought Bob Costas and Katie Couric could pass for brother and sister. Think about it.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He was. He was also with the Buffalo Braves for a time.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Only to seven.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Martzke was in St. Louis with Costas. If you ever read "Loose Balls' by Terry Pluto, he has some great stuff about that team ...

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

You think that's good? I remember, in 1998, getting a phone call from an irate reader who demanded to know why Mike Harris was off curling at the Nagano Olympics when he should have been back here in Ontario running the province.

The poor guy had a difficult time understanding that Mike Harris the premier and Mike Harris the Ontario-based curler (and eventual Olympic silver medalist) were two entirely different people.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Here's another name game.
    Toward the end of their stay in Los Angeles, the Rams had a beat writer from Torrance named Jim Thomas.
    When they moved to St. Louis, the beat guy from the PD was ... Jim Thomas.

Draft saved Draft deleted