1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New game: Sports writer trivia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 2, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Birdscribe in 10 years. :D

2. Damn, i just missed all of the posts on this. But shoot, I started from the beginning and read Mizzou's original question, I would have had that in a snap. I was only Andy's team leader for three years at the Trib.

DAMN, DOUBLE DAMN. What would I have won? ;D

Andy, we need to get together for some BBQ somewhere soon. I once said when Andy eats BBQ "sparks fly from his knife and fork." It was AYCE at Hungry Harry's in Land O' Lakes.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hey, how about a 'Guess Which Mike Harris' contest?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I worked for one, have been in several press boxes with another and moderate with yet another :)

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which Mike Harris worked for AP?

Mike Harris!

Which Mike Harris worked in Tampa?

Mike Harris!

Which Mike Harris worked in Richmond?

Mike Harris!

I loved having so many other Mike Harris' in the business. I blamed all my screw-ups on them. Tampa Mike used to get expense reports I didn't want to approve.

My paper actually put in a rule for a while that we couldn't use AP Mike's byline when I had a byline on the same page. A reader griped one day because I had a dateline from Indianapolis and AP Mike had one from Phoenix. No way, no WAY I could have covered both events.
    "Two different people, sir."
    Didn't believe it.

As for Jeopardy - Claudia Perry (speaking of Richmond people)?

6. SOOOO THAT'S how I got those expense reports huh?

Because of the Mike Harris in AP, my byline always read Michael Harris.

Now, here's a key trivia, how many of the aforementioned Mike Harris' had the middle initial J?

Ha. This could be fun.

However, an eerie postscript though. The two Americans on the missing Air France flight were Michael Harris and his wife.

Here's some more trivia, can we figure out the identity of playthrough? That may be just for the Mikes

And which Mike Harris did a certain founder of a very famous sports message board web site once work for?

7. Moderator1

My middle initial is J.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If that ever changed in my time there (that overlapped with yours) no one ever told me. Even when you were SE and not writing, we just did "Associated Press." I thought it was stupid, because one said T-D and one said AP, but whatevs.

9. Moderator1

Yeah, but no one noticed that little underline.

10. Well, how about that J is mine as well.

BUT, Moddy is your name Michael Harris? ;)

Don't answer that.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Times Up. It's Eddie Timanus of USA Today, the guy who compiles the Coaches Top 25.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What former baseball beat writer turned editor was a martial arts expert who served two tours of duty in Vietnam.

Draft saved Draft deleted