1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New game: Sports writer trivia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 2, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mr. Tom Archdeacon, no?

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Next question, please: What sportswriter wrote a book in which Barry Switzer was quoted as saying he thought Troy Aikman was gay?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Skip Bayless.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The answer, if anyone cares, is Paul Sullivan, who at one point was the Trib's baseball writer. I just read Royko's biography over the weekend. He liked Sullivan least out of all his legmen, not because of anything Sullivan did, but because he was the only legman forced upon him by management. Royko was apparently a very difficult employee and employer to deal with. One day he just told Sullivan, "You're going to work in the sports department," and that was that.

5. clutchcargo

What exactly is a legman? Was Royko disabled and not able to move around?

Or if this guy was just an overworked gopher, then to heck with Royko, the arrogant, pampered prima donna. Go do your own work, pal. If this is the case, I just lost all repsect for Royko or any other prima donna like him.

6. clutchcargo

Correct-i-mundo

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Royko wrote five columns a week for 30 years and for much of that time had a legman doing some reporting for him. The biography was outstanding.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Correct on Archdeacon.

Another question: Which future sportswriter was PR director of the ABA's Miami Floridians?

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I know Rudy Martzke was with several ABA teams in different capacities, so I'm gonna guess it was him.

Edit: Elliotte beat me, but do I get points for using a full sentence?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which sportswriter is a five-time Jeopardy champion who qualified for the tournament of champions? And also won $50,000 on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Sean Connery?

Y'all have convinced me I need to hang out here a little more.

Draft saved Draft deleted