1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've read all the public conversations about it. I'm not opposed to the idea. I've seen the good and the bad of the Politics thread. Have been a part of plenty of debates on there through the years. I've seen both sides make great arguments and both sides resort to namecalling and other BS that made it unpalatable.

And I was taking a jab at Sunshine as a representative of others that I've seen who seem happier playing troll than having a conversation. I honestly don't know which side of the equation he'd fall on.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Anyone else starting to notice links to shopping sites popping up in posts?

3. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Got an example post or two?

I added some javascript that adds affiliate codes to links, and they had a new feature that auto-links product names, so I turned it on. I looked around, but haven't been able to find it in action, so I have no idea if it's super obtrusive or not. If it's over the top I'll either turn it off or turn down the auto-link density from "default" to "lite".

4. Jeff

Xenforo released a small upgrade today which fixed a number of small bugs and conflicts with various browsers.

For example, they worked around an Internet Explorer bug that minimized the browser after responding to a post.

Also upgraded to Google's new reCaptcha, so that should help with anti-spam.

I just applied the upgrade here--everything seems to be working fine for me still, but if you notice any new issues, let me know.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This one on the Urban Meyer thread.

"Jimbo Fisher" is a link to some memorabilia.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've had a variety of ads, including one to date Russian seniors, although the photo of was of much younger women. I think the URL was russianseniordating.com.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don't get ads when I'm using my laptop but I get a ton when I'm using my ipad. All the ads are related to things I've googled. Just sayin, Dyno.

HC, JackReacher and Dyno like this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm on my work computer. I guess I know what the IT guys' predilections are.

HC and Amy like this.
  9. Jeff

Gotcha. That doesn't look too bad to me since it's just the one link in the post, although I'm open to feedback if you think otherwise. I was afraid it'd be like 20 links in single post or something. I'll probably leave it on for a month, see if it actually earned any money, and if not turn it off.

The ads are because I'm finally getting them installed... I'll be spending the next day or two playing around with the layout code figuring it out--in the meantime on any given page load you might see no ads, or you might see 15 ads.

I'm trying to limit my most of my experimenting to guests only until I get it figured out. So I'm guessing you're not logged in on your ipad. Registered users will eventually have some ads, although not as many as guests.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

On my iPhone, I am getting banner ads at the top and bottom, as well as in the list of threads. It isn't too bad, unless you accidentally fat finger hit one.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The banners are disrupting the loading of pages. Sometimes the ad won't load at all, leaving a big white space.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've seen that too. And the page loading has slowed down a bit. But I am ok with it, Jeff needs to make money. I just hope if I meet him in real life, we will buy each other a round of beers.

Draft saved Draft deleted