1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New football offense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 25, 2008.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Out of interest I went back to the 2006 season...the one before they implementedthis "innovative offesne"... they seemed to have scored more, still only lost one conference game, and still made the playoffs where in the first round they only lost by 7 instead of 35 points.

I'm no coach, but that doesn't seem like much of a real improvement to me.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The center is the only guy not eligible for a pass.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What a pathetic article. A novice wrote it. Was a single thing fact-checked?

The average score for the team with the gimmick offense? 21.7 ppg. The team's average score after the first two games? 25.5 ppg. WOW!!!

This team scored more than 21 points just three times last season. THREE!! All seven wins were due to defense. Piedmont allowed 14 points or less in each win.

The season before the gimmick offense, Piedmont scored 71 more points.

The rival coach quoted in the article had a team that gave up 49+ points three times. His team only lost 47-7 to Piedmont.

Piedmont made the playoffs the year before. And the year before that. The team has had the exact same league record the past three seasons, 4-1.

Piedmont played 11 games under that same coach both last season and the season before. Eight of them were against the same opponents. Piedmont beat the same teams and lost to the same teams both seasons. The two extra wins in 2007 came against the Moreau school which sucked, and Trinity, which was 5-5 and has an enrollment half as much as Piedmont's (important when you consider one of the reasons for Piedmont's gimmick offense is that the article states the school has to compete with so many others twice its size).

The offense is a joke. The article is worse.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In my day we played real football, dammit. None of this consarned newfangled trickeration.

[​IMG]

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You call the Power T, "real" football? Master the single wing and then come talk to me, son.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The hell with that. We're going old school (as dixiehack notes).

[​IMG]

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The greatest passing offense will never win a championship. You have to run the football (or be able to when needed) to win a championship at almost any level.

You would think the NE/NYG Super Bowl was 35 years ago.

In the defense of this offense, it would make the opposing team devote valuable practice time to prepare for it.

Sure, you are wasting time yourself, but gadget plays sometimes have more value than you think.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bryan, Piedmont's coach, and Steve Humphries, the director of football operations, had developed an offense in which all 11 players on the field potentially are eligible to catch the ball.

So they didn't have the resources/athletes to compete with the big boys, but they've got a full-time director of football operations?

Hmmm ...

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

You forgot a wing, Ragu ;)

[​IMG]

Though I did see a team win an Oregon Class 2A semifinal game with the single wing. The score? 8-6...

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

If I were to coach, and had the athletes to do it.....I would do the pass-n-shoot.

WR WR WR G C G WR WR WR WR

QB

7-wide.

Chuck it all over the lot.

Run the big splits with the guards and the centers.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

98 percent of high schools I've ever seen don't have the wide receivers to make an offense like this work well.

After the 10th sack, I'd start feeling bad for the quarterback.

Draft saved Draft deleted