1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New football offense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 25, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like something the New Jersey Generals used to run in the USFL to take advantage of Doug Flutie. And they did run it sometimes with the center as an eligible receiver. They would have a tight end next to him, but the tight end would step back off the line. I remember seeing plays where Flutie actually threw to the center.

Another USFL team, the Memphis Showboats, also ran some spread formations with two quarterbacks.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I read a little of the Yahoo story on this. The coach came up with this as a way to try to compete with the bigger schools, he says.

His school isless than 1000 students and they play against schools twice their size.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If the center is uncovered on one side, he'd be eligible. But then everyone on the uncovered side would all have to be in the backfield (making all of them eligible). That would mean you'd have to play the six other guys on the covered side in order to get seven on the LOS so that the formation would be legal (five more "linemen" and a wide out). That would limit the options on that particular play.

Like so:
    F F Q Q
    CGGTTT E

The center could be eligible on a play, but it wouldn't be practical as that would be the formation with the fewest pass options. I'd think this would be the easiest to defend, provided the defense picked it up, because only one person to the right of the center can receive a pass.

However, anyone can catch a backward pass, so the center could run back around a take a pitch. That would still be tough to defend but I'd tell my guy on the center to just shadow him because if he runs backward, it's pretty obvious why he is. If he sets up to block, bull rush him and put him out of position to help downfield.

I think the NFL is the only level where it's in the rules that a center can never be eligible, even if he is on the end of the line. (The QB isn't eligible either unless he's in the shotgun).

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This might work in a H.S. league where you can confuse the hell out of an unprepared or weak defense, but there is a reason why no one has ever done anything like this as a base formation at the high college and pro levels. You are direct snapping the ball to someone without any protection. It's either a snap and throw the ball in less than 2 seconds or a naked bootleg -- that you are announcing in advance.

If I saw this formation, I'd stack the line with a five or six-man pass rush -- which is going to steamroll those two tight ends and the spare back every time and take my chances with the rest of my defenders playing the underneath zones to cover whatever five receivers they send out. You don't really need any safeties, because there is no way the quarterback is getting off anything but a short pass before he gets planted into the turf. This could work as a trick formation every now and then, but a steady diet of it against a coach who knows what he is doing would be ugly beyond belief.

EDIT: Once they got use to that pass rush, I'd just turn the tables. I'd mix it up with blitzes so they can't even figure out where the rush is coming from and drop back guys they aren't expecting into those under zones. This would be ridiculously easy to defend if you have the players.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This offense would only work in high school states that don't follow NCAA rules. NCAA and NFL rules prohibit this kind of offense.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Exactly, against a team that knows what its doing this offense will just get the QB killed.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It was used last year and approved by the National Federation of High Schools, which I believe follows NCAA rules.

From the linked story:

Colleges have even implemented some plays in some games, obviously not fulltime.

From the sidebar on the linked story:

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It just seems like a variant of the lonesome polecat. A defense will never be in the dark as to who an eligible receiver is, since six players must be on the LOS and have to stay there for at least a second.

Ragu's spot on with his defense. You can rush five and set up a zone behind to cover quick routes (hooks with the CBs, slants with LBs and fades with S and $ in either half).

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Based on that video, I'm with whoever said the refs would call a penalty every play.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This would never work as a regular offensive scheme. As someone above said, a fast defense could turn this offense into a debacle, especially if they had some physical corners busting up routes.

On the other hand, pull this out as a trick play every once in awhile, and I think you'll have a solid play that could get a first down when you really need it.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Who needs two QBs when you have one Tim Tebow?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This would never work.
    Anybody who would try it must be crazy.
    It must be illegal.
    I've never seen anything like this before.
    Bush-league. Arena football. Flag football.
    In my day we never flipped the consarned ball around like this.
    It's not the .... "right way to play."

Relax, we'll be back to our regularly-scheduled NFL tailback-off-tackle same-old-shit after the next commercial.

Draft saved Draft deleted