1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New football coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 19, 2007.

1. WSKY

WSKY Member

They lost out on a bunch of dudes and could not keep pace with the Michigans and Ohio States of the Big 10. Hell, they can't even get guys away from lower Big 12 schools ...

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Can anyone tell me why states with a pretty significant population like Minnesota and Wisconsin have only one DI football team?

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Lack of available talent?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Doesn't stop Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, Iowa and Nevada from having multiple DI (or even I-AA) football teams.

and last I checked, you can recruit outside state boundaries.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Those states are filled with smaller colleges at the lower levels that are just content to stay there (or the university system didn't allow for it) and not move up like Troy, Middle Tennessee, etc etc. It's a good question as to why they haven't.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They also have a ton of D2 and D3 schools.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which school in Wisconsin or Minnesota is going to move up? ? ?
    In football, there are no other D1 possibilities, even remotely.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It just seems like Mankato State, Winona State, Minn-Duluth, St. Cloud St., UW-LaCrosse, NDSU, SDSU, etc., etc., could make up a nice little I-AA football conference. Decent sized schools, decent sized communities, etc.

I see no reason why those schools shouldn't be able to be everything New Mexico State, Utah State or even Boise State is.

But I think Owlhead is right. They are content to be what they are. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

ND State is transitioning to 1-AA, and gave the Gophers a scare this season.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Exactly. SDSU is there, too.

St. Cloud is booming, so is Mankato. Why not have a MVC/Mid-Con level sports program?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

Me neither.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well one reason is that most I-A football programs lose money and minnesotans, for better or for worse, are tightwads. you think troy state is turning a profit on its football team?

Draft saved Draft deleted