1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New flack at Georgia Tech

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 25, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That is because they can't even sell out their football games and are begging you to spend more money.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Dean is one of the best SIDs I have dealt with in my time. I was surprised to learn he was taking this gig, but he'll be great at it. I believe he is replacing Allison George.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Wherever Allison is going I sure hope she's a lot happier. She always sounded as if things couldn't get much worse.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I am on that list having never even been near the state of Georgia. I imagine every football writer in America gets it.

I can't even get my work spam filters to block it.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

You've never been near the state of Georgia? Wow.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Damn ... Wake Forest has lost its top two in the SID department -- first associate SID/football contact Mike Vest (went to work for the Big 10 Network), and now Dean ... they've got some pretty big shoes to fill now ...

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Some things never change. Allison was grumpy 18 years ago when I was on the ACC beat. Amazed to hear she stayed that long in the ATL.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Me too. And here's another vote for Dean being a good guy. Dealt with him when he was at Kansas and he was very professional. It's a pleasure when you get someone like that.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

FSU used to have Allison's kindred spirit in sourpuss sisterhood, Donna Turner. Two peas in the same mopey pod. Don't know what happened to her.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I believe Donna Turner was at Tulane for a while, though she's no longer in the CoSIDA directory.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows Donna now is at Northern Illinois.

And I'll raise a glass to Dean-o, too. Easily one of the best in the business.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Alison was fired last month, thereby easing the gameday experience of beat hacks all across the ACC.
    Word was they were looking for someone with better people skills.... hence Mr. Buchan's hiring.
    Another point - what do you guys think about Tony Barnhart's quote in the press release? Tony obviously has lots of experience and lots of clout in the ATL and college sports and is very well-respected for good reasons, but it struck me as a bit strange that a writer would contribute a personal endorsement to a college's SID hire.

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Central Florida about as close as I could. Didn't get a bigger beat until last year, just have never had any business there.

Draft saved Draft deleted