1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Final Four weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Sorry, Jay.
    They don't all do it like Cal does it.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that at all -- no other coach seems to have gotten so little return on some of his ultra-talented teams. I don't think he has been very good in big games, but he is obviously a great, great coach and recruiter (which is a big part of being a great coach) and I think his teams have a tendency to choke.

That being said - my original point -- I don't think this was a case of the Tar Heels choking. I think Kansas was and is better than North Carolina, period. 18 points better? No, probably not, but the Jayhawks have more talent, are bigger, are deeper and are overall just a flat-out better team.

And I'd say the same thing about Memphis-UCLA -- there seems to be a sentiment that Ben Howland is becoming the Marv levy of college coaches -- but that is nonsense. Howland has lost all three years to BETTER (and I'd argue MUCH BETTER) teams and further, I'd say take a look at how many Final Fours it took great coaches like Dean Smith, Coach K or even Roy Williams before they went out and finally got their titles. It ain't easy -- there is only one handed out per year.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Kansas is the better team, but what was the score at one point, 40-12? Those are 15 minutes of hoops Carolina fans are not going to forget for a long time.

You can lose by 20 and have it spread out over 40 minutes, but the sheer whipping of those 15 minutes is tough to understand.

They were on pace to beat Carolina 90-30. I know that would not happen, but Lord, for a spell it sure looked that way.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, but the stretch immediately following that -- North Carolina outscored Kansas 38-14 -- that's what happens when talented teams get on a run.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Let's see your list of who does it the "right" way.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Arguing about which college basketball coach is more ethical than the next is akin to arguing over which of Eliot Spitzer's hookers has the nicest personality. I'm sure there's a winner, but it's not really the point of the relationship.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My only point is that I'm not bothered by Memphis and Calipari, whom some on the C-A staff refer to as the cripple and other assorted mean things.
    Calipari has two bad hips/knees and he gimps around pretty good when he is walking, the short pacing he does on the sideline doesn't really show it off.
    Anyway, I just don't care if he cheats or doesn't.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'd like more concrete examples. If it's what everyone else does, well it's what everyone else does. It it's worse then what is it? It's the same with the Drew family in another thread. Multiple people checked in with allusions to how shady they are but never shared any of the dirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted