1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two questions:
    1. Let’s say we allow six keepers. Is each team required to keep six, or can we keep less and have more draft picks?
    2. How will this work, logistically, of keeping track of each round when there are 70+ spots that are going to be skipped?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Six keepers would be a maximum. If you don't have six that you feel are worth keeping at the cost, you can keep less.

The site keeps track of when players are drafted. I believe we will have to manually fix the draft order next season. That is why I asked that somebody step up as an assistant commissioner to help me with that part. (Regan already volunteered.) I need to play around with the site more to see exactly how it will work, but those are things we can tinker with in the offseason.

The key now is to set the rules. I think we are good with six keepers and the cost. I'm not sure about limiting the number of years total that we can keep players. I was in one league for years that had no cap at all. My money league caps it at six years. We could go with six if people want a cap. That's why I'm asking for feedback. We need to lock these things in within the next few days. The draft is a week from Sunday.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a cap. From experience with my other keeper league, nobody keeps even the absolute studs for 10 years (which is really the max you can hold a guy). Inevitably, managers leverage their value in a trade, or they get injured or have an off-year and suddenly don't hold the same value, or they grab a prospect who is more valuable as a 25th-rounder than that stud you've had for five years who is now a sixth-rounder.

It's easy to manually slot the keepers into their draft position. I can help, if you need it.

4. outofplace

It doesn't seem that difficult. It just seems like it could be time consuming, at least until you figure out the process.

I prefer no cap as well. The draft slot and increasing cost each year for keeping a player seems like enough.

5. bigpern23

It's not as time consuming as it seems. Mind-numbing, sure, but it probably takes less than 20 mins. I'm happy to help, though.

6. outofplace

Thanks. Anybody else want to speak up? As of now, we're ready to go with the rules as I stated above. That would be six keepers for the 2021 season. The cost of each keeper goes up two rounds each time the player is kept. If you take a player in the sixth round this season, it would cost a fourth-rounder to hold on to him in 2021, then a second rounder in 2022. This also means that players taken in the first two rounds of this year's draft cannot be kept.

The only other change I have in place from last season is five spots on the injured list. I always thought the Yahoo standard of two spots was too small. Now that this is a keeper, it is even more important that we don't have owners getting stuck cutting good players who are injured just because they get hit with too many guys on the IL at once.

I do suggest that everybody takes a look at the league settings to make sure they don't have any questions ahead of time especially our two new owners. You can also test the draft room to make sure you don't have any technical issues next Sunday. Please do so ahead of time.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sorry for not chiming in as you guys have gone along (getting to be the busy time of year in the hockey bidness), but I have been following the conversation and I am cool with everything heading into Sunday

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For the draft, there’s no bidding or salary cap, correct? It’s just pick the guy that you want, right?

9. outofplace

No worries. I just want to give everybody the opportunity to speak up. I'm assuming those who aren't responding are going to be good with the rules as they are on the site and the thread. Thanks.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What draft round are waiver wire players once the season starts slotted? Last?

11. bigpern23

That’s the way we do it in my other league. Players who aren’t drafted and are later picked up become last round picks the following season.

Also, and this is just a suggestion, if you have two players drafted in the same round that you want to keep (say because of a trade or a guy gets dropped and picked up by someone else) one of the players (of the owner’s choosing) would move ahead three rounds the following season. You can’t draft two players in the same slot, so it makes sense, and it errs on the side of getting good players back into the pool sooner.

12. outofplace

Correct. I'd love to do an auction, but that idea was shot down last year. An auction takes a lot longer than a regular draft and it sucks unless everybody shows up.

Draft saved Draft deleted