1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And it guarantees that Trout, Betts, etc., will be available every year, unless by some freak reason they're cut or something and claimed on waivers.

I can help if that's needed. It's just a matter of looking at the keepers and comparing that list with prior-year draft results.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The way we do it is that if a player is drafted, their slot is set for the next season no matter who owns them or if they get dropped and claimed off waivers.

3. Regan MacNeil

Is that to prevent shenanigans with the waiver process?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It prevents shenanigans and genuine mistakes that could screw with the competitive balance. I doubt anybody is cutting a first or second-round pick, but maybe they get frustrated with a fifth-rounder who then bounces back to have a strong season and someone ends up getting them for a free agent draft slot.

One way to keep that from happening is expanding the number of IL slots so people aren't forced into cutting good players just because they get hit by a rash of injuries. I'm going to go ahead and change that to five IL spots, which is the maximum. I've never been a fan of small injured lists.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I like this. If a stud is hurt or suspended and dropped, he’s not available on the cheap the next year.

I’ve benefited in another league by picking up suspended Cano and Gordon and sitting on them to keep them at a bargain the next season .

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m interested in playing. I haven’t played in, like, six years, so I’d be the Fantasy BB equivalent of the expansion Cleveland Browns, but I’ll give it a shot.

Scout likes this.
  7. outofplace

Baron, I can't send you an IM. Please unblock me there. I need to be able to send private messages to league members.

Also, can you make the draft 7:30 p.m. March 15?

Same question for Scout. I'm fine with 12 teams, but I want to make sure new owners are going to be able to make the draft.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

All good.

15th is great

9. Regan MacNeil

If it's 12, we should reduce keepers to 5.

10. outofplace

I still think six is fine. My 14-team money league keeps eight veterans and five minor leaguers each year. I was in a 10-team league that we kept 14 players for a long time. To me, six still seems small.

That said, I'm willing to be persuaded if that's what the league wants. Does anybody else think we need to drop it to five?

By the way, if anybody wants to see what you had on your rosters last year, take a final look. I'm going to clear the rosters in the next day or two.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Six works for me. In my other keeper league, which has 12 teams and six keepers, there's still plenty of studs available in the draft. And, at six keepers, it's still an excruciating decision every year who to hang onto.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I just left a league that had started up with keepers and there was no trading at all. All the keepers would be expiring in three years so it created a bubble of players coming into the draft every three years.

If we did six keepers, maybe after the draft we could designate two of the six keepers to be one year only keepers, then two be two year keepers and two be three year keepers.

Another way would be to gradually add keepers each year. This year could be three or two keepers then next year could be two or three more. That would keep a balance of keepers and promote trading.

I agree with what people are saying about the keepers making the draft weak. I don’t think anyone wants a league where Tim Anderson is the first pick next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted