1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

BREAKING!

SJOPOLIS -- The commissioner of Fantasy Baseball Addicts has opened an investigation into what may be the biggest case of collision in fantasy trading history involving separate leagues. The investigation, which may include Ukraine President Zelensky and the ghost of Howdy Doody, centers around Internet message board posters who go by the handles Songbird and Vombatus, according to Commissioner oop.

"Did you and Vombatus make an agreement that he would make a lopsided trade to help you in the NIAFL if you made one to help him in the Fantasy Baseball Addicts League?" Commissioner oop asked Songbird in an email obtained by the SportsJournalists.com Gazette. The commissioner then said, "I've got one version of it. I want to hear yours before I even say anything to other league members."

Songbird won the 2019 NIAFL title and finished second in Fantasy Baseball Addicts but the interleague trade scheme in question took place in 2018.

Songbird laughed a big fat belly laugh after reading the commissioner's inquiry and thought to himself, Well it looks like The Epitome has returned.

Songbird then sent a reply to Commissioner oop: "Yes, he and I agreed to trade with each other in both leagues because I wanted players he had in one league and vice versa. That was the extent of it, no great nefarious plot. It would have helped me in one league and it would have helped him in another league. Don't you think you're taking the word "collusion" a bit far in regards to fantasy baseball trades? But just in case you want to take this a few levels deeper, give President Zelensky a call and ask him if he felt pressured by this tit-for-tat fantasy baseball trading collusion. lol"

More to come ... maybe ... but only if John Bolton agrees to testify in this explosive fantasy baseball inquest.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Songbird, did you think I would be embarrassed by asking the question and treating you with respect? I'm not.

In addition to responding to me treating you with respect by posting that garbage, you broke SJ.com rules by sharing the contents of IMs.

I prefer not to make a knee-jerk decision, but both rosters have been locked. I was going to ask for opinions from other league owners before doing anything, so I guess I will do that now. If any league members want to speak up, now would be a good time. I will make a decision by tomorrow, but I'd rather not do it unilaterally. At worst, we would be down to eight teams with two still to reply and one owner asking to join. We should have no problem going forward either way.

To be clear, both Songbird and Vombatus have admitted they colluded two years ago. I hope Songbird's success last season was legitimate, but I certainly can't trust in that. I know it's a free league, but what the heck is the point if we're not going to play fairly?

3. Songbird

I definitely did break the rules there and why not?

Don't chafe your anus too hard making your decision, honey.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Those trades are garbage if they were intentionally onesided and I wouldn’t want to play with either in any league I was in if that was the case. The leagues are independent of each other, or should be.

5. Songbird

LOL "locked" ...

Add this debacle to the Simple Pleasures thread in that these are the simple pleasures that make me happy.

6. outofplace

They were intentionally garbage. Both owners have admitted as much.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

All this in a free league.

8. Songbird

I just went and looked at the series of discussions Vombatus and I had in mid-'18 and the trade proposals were not terribly lopsided. I would have traded him Trout and I wanted Bryant and Chapman in the other league and there were other pieces involved. But it wasn't within a thousand universes of Manny Machado to the Dodgers for 5 stiffs to the Orioles, which is what happened in real life.

9. outofplace

If all those players would have been in one league, that would be a slightly different story, but the intent was still the same. Seriously, just stop.

10. Songbird

Oh shit, oop's in marching orders mode now. #TotesGucci

11. Songbird

Shit, does this mean I have to say goodbye to all my guys who I curated and managed into Championship Week '19?

Sorry, Oregano Forever'ers, but it looks like our hard work last season is being discredited. Beer at Moe's tonight?

A2.png
    A1.png

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Tough few days for Bregman and Verlander.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted