1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    So we still have to hear from five more. I forgot we went with 12, not 10 last season. The remaining are:

Nationalists
    GrandTheftVotto
    Ray Of Hope
    Washington Wombats
    Tet Corporation

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Keeper is OK (though we'd obviously need to decide on criteria). Non-keeper fine as well. My only request if it's on a Sunday is to be after noon EST because of church.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love a keeper league. Makes it more interesting for teams that are out of it and gives incentive to make trades.

4. bigpern23

In past keeper leagues I’ve played, we kept three or six players (I prefer six) and you couldn’t keep players drafted in the first two rounds.

In one league, players are kept two rounds ahead of where they were drafted the previous season (a 20th round pick is kept as an 18th rounder, and so on), which prevented players from being kept indefinitely and gave them additional value if they were later round picks.

Others we just could keep and draft positions didn’t matter.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. outofplace

The question is if we could do it for this season. We discussed this a year ago. To me, it is better to decide before a season that you are going to start keeping players the next offseason. I certainly run my roster differently during a season if it's not a keeper.

I'm fine with a keeper, but I think we should be starting clean this season and have the keeper rules set before our draft.

Edit: Maybe I should have looked at my roster and seen how many of those guys I want to keep before posting. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    MTM likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You should seriously consider putting some better limits on streaming. “None” is not a good option.

7. outofplace

You still in? I always welcome input from league members, though I think we have a split in the thinking on that one.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’m not sure yet.

What I witnessed in yours and another league last year was extreme streaming, to the point that the better team and better fantasy owner doesn’t always win - the team that does the most streaming does.

To me, that’s a crappy way to wind up a very lengthy fantasy baseball year.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The team that streams the most is good because it has an owner who puts together the best team possible on a daily basis.

The team that wins the title is the best team regardless of whether the owner made 42 moves or 158 over the course of the season.

There are super duper leagues out there suited to super duper owners who want limited streaming. They're easy to find, or create.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I’m a streamer but I’m ok with limits. I’m in a couple H2H leagues in other sports that limit moves to five per week. It allows moves but you can’t go crazy.

11. bigpern23

I agree we should probably start fresh this year with keepers, but I’m not opposed to just picking keepers and going forward with them.

BTW, if anyone is interested in joining a $65 dynasty league, I’m looking for two managers to take over existing rosters.

12. outofplace

I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does reward more active owners. Streaming can also blow up in your face if you aren't careful which pitchers you stream.

I'm not sure what settings we even have for that in a free Yahoo league, but I'll check. The short answer for the moment is we have owners who may want to bail either way. If you want a say in the rules, you need to commit to the league so we can move forward. If you don't want to do that, I truly do thank you for participating, but we really do need an answer either way very soon. If people are leaving, we need time to find replacements. We only have seven owners committed right now and it makes no sense to go forward without at least 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted