1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

CBS sends notifications. I believe you can set Yahoo to do it as well.

Or you can just obsessively check the league site like I do. :)

We're going with Yahoo for this year. We've got 10. We can go with as many as 12, but it has to be an even number if we go head-to-head. I'm asking everybody who received links to join by Friday so we can start working on a date and time for the live draft.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How does "points" work?

3. outofplace

I answered on the league site, but I'll post about it here later when I have time.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, I'm in. Looking forward to getting back in the fantasy baseball realm after a long absence.

5. outofplace

Here's what I posted on the league site:

In Yahoo's standard points scoring, it's 5X5 and you gain points for how high you rank in each category. For example, if we have 10 teams and your team leads the league in home runs, you have 10 points in home runs. If you are third in runs, that is good for eight points.

I was going to put it to a vote, points or head-to-head. One advantage for points is that we can have an odd number of teams. Right now, we're at 10 and one more wants to play. I can't let in an 11th unless we can find a 12th owner.

I also think points is a better representation of your team's actual play. You can have a great week and still lose ground in head-to-head if you happen to run into an opponent having an even better week. I'm certainly willing to go the other way. I just don't want to start polling until I see that all 10 are going to join the site.

Edit: Somebody just joined the league site. That makes eight of the nine invitations I sent out, counting me as the 10th member. For those interested, we could still go to 12. We've got an 11th who is interested.

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I’m more of a points kind of guy. However, I’ll go with whatever.

7. outofplace

Still waiting on one of the 10 invitees to join the Yahoo site. Could y'all sound off here or via PM with your team names on Yahoo so I can figure out who's missing? I'm hoping to have the participants locked in by Friday so we can make decisions about the draft. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. Of course, if you want to sound off with your team names, that could be fun, but all 10 have joined now. I'll hold the door open until Friday night because I promised. If we get one more, we'll go to 12 (I have one on a wait list.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Legends of Lompton all checked in and ready to go.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If this is an "idiots allowed" league, I'll play.

10. outofplace

Looks like we've got 12. I will send out the last two invites and lock us in by tomorrow. Please check the Yahoo site for polls and discussion threads regarding scoring format and draft dates and times. I already started discussion threads for draft style and scoring (points or head-to-head.)

Edit: I sent out the last two invitations. Once they join, I will lock the league at 12 teams.

Looks like we are going to stick with a draft, not an auction. I still need everybody's input on scoring (points or head-to-head). I'll post a discussion thread about draft dates and times this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  11. outofplace

The thread about draft dates and times is up on the Yahoo site. Given that the season starts March 29, it's not far off, so please check that out and reply soon. I'll go with the date that fits best for those who respond, so I'm hoping everybody replies in the next few days.

12. outofplace

I tentatively moved the draft to March 11 on the site. That is not final, but March 18 wasn't an option and the 11th is the earliest possibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted