1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Real American baseball uses the team with the most home runs or the lowest cumulative ERA as a tiebreaker? Who knew!

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree with this. No category should have more value than any other. The lower seed team needs to win outright.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like bench points as a tiebreaker, personally. Not a fan of higher seed win the tiebreaker.

4. outofplace

That was my other issue with using a random category. It inflates the value of that one category. I've seen it in practice in one of my old leagues. That one used ERA. Even though it helped me win a couple of times, it didn't feel like a fair solution.

It is a moot point unless someone knows a workaround for free leagues. The drop-down menu for playoff tiebreakers is only showing me two options, higher seed wins or better regular season head-to-head. Bench points is not an option. Neither is choosing a random category.

5. bigpern23

In that case, I like head-to-head record, which is how they determine home-field advantage in the Wild Card game if two teams tie for the two Wild Card slots, but I get the argument for sustained excellence over the course of the season. I prefer head-to-head, but I'm fine either way.

6. outofplace

The problem with head-to-head is some teams will only play once while most will play twice.

7. bigpern23

Just win, baby!

Vombatus likes this.
  8. outofplace

Everybody ready to draft tomorrow?

Vombatus likes this.
  9. outofplace

Counting down..just over a half hour to the draft. Hope everybody is ready to join in.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will be there!

11. outofplace

The draft room is open and the order is set.

(Pardon me while I grumble about being second)

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good draft. Chatter gave way to mostly silence and studying around the 6th or 7th round.

Good luck this season, yo. And yes, Bregman was a perfectly cromulent No. 5 overall pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted