1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New ESPN Ombud Updated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Apr 5, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: New ESPN Ombud's Opening Remarks

At least she's going in with her eyes open. That said, good luck to her, and I hope she does make an impact.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Obviously they chose her because she is too intelligent for ESPN's audience, thus few of them will read her. If a tree falls in the forest ...

I wish she had gotten right to it and spared us the campaign promises.

4. Old Crank

Old Crank Member

Wasn't she the genius who spiked Red Smith's column on the 1980 Olympic boycott? It was decreed, as I recall, that Smith had no business mixing politics and sports and/or wasn't qualified to comment on same. His response was, "Next time, I'll write about the infield-fly rule."

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow. This could be interesting.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In fairness to Ms. Schrieber, when she spiked Red she was a kid led to believe she was on the Times' management fast track, and chose a really, really bad way to suck up to her bosses.
    As someone who made his own damn fool professional mistake, I admire anyone who pulls a goof, dusts themselves off, and continues to do good work.

7. Old Crank

Old Crank Member

Can't say I'm familiar with her post-1980 work but if that was her worst mistake then I'm sure Mr. Gee is right.

8. Re: New ESPN Ombud's Opening Remarks

she pretty much laid it out. she can be digested and dismissed simaltaneously. perfect ombudsman.

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Don't you guys think that ESPN hiring an ombudsman just makes them more pompous and arrogant as ever.

When has ESPN become a bastion of journalism? They are so important that they hire a viewer representative to make sure they are doing a good job of journalism. Are you kidding?

ESPN thinks they are s so important. Really, they do, just ask them. ESPN has a news arm, but they are more interested in filling programing.

Outside the Lines is nice, and they do decent journalistic work through the website. But after that, it's a bunch of highlight and analysis shows. They have a journalistic outfit, but it isn't their bread and butter.

Where are they on Barry Bonds and steroids? How about doing a story on the Bengals and how many NFL players wreck mayhem around the country?

Instead of putting LeBron and other like minded high schoolers on TV, do a story on how these teams aren't really high school teams. I see token stories on the super preps.

ESPN.com I like. But the issues there never make it on to the telecast. They are too busy doing the hot seat, or having sports writers yell at one another in a game show.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The concept of ombudsman is about as futile as any concept you'll find short of New Coke. And a dangerous one; people could get fooled into thinking that there's someone there who could kick butt and take names in their stead.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

" . . . ready to pick up where George Solomon left off . . . "

If Ms. Schreiber does not do PRECISELY that -- take off on the obvious, throbbing questions GS
    FINALLY addressed, in his farewell -- we're all wasting a lot of valuable time.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I thought Mrs. Voorhees was dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted