1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New ESPN book goes public.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 16, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Re: New ESPN book--a big secret.

Loved the excerpt.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

nope. 'cause they all think espn still rocks today.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Let's see, ESPN anchors have big egos and Olbermann was an asshole to people.
    Aren't all these things pretty widely known?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Well I'm under 30 and loved Sportscenter growing up but now can't stand it and haven't watched anything on ESPN other than live sports coverage in about 4-5 years.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How ever do they get by?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, probably the last 5-6 years is when it jumped the shark. I don't think you are the average viewer, though. You are a hell of a lot smarter than they are.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was the "Who's Now?" when I got to my breaking point and said, "I just can't watch this shit anymore."

Other than games, the only thing I watch on ESPN is College Gameday.

8. Re: New ESPN book--a big secret.

Circle gets the square. No use of trying Paul Lynde for the block.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I still remember summer of 1987 when we finally got cable in our house and how I was glued to any and all things ESPN when WOR wasn't airing the Mets, TBS wasn't showing the Braves and Letterman wasn't on. They were the upstart network that would fucking air ANYTHING sports related. Goddam Body by Jake and Kiana, followed by roller derby. Hey, Roy Firestone was a smug SOB who actually fucking SANG on one episode of his show, but it was still a half hour of SPORTS INTERVIEWS!

Then, much like they Atlanta Braves, in the 90s they went from being the upstarts to the favorites, and became much more annoying and obnoxious. Agreed, Mizzou, on Gameday, but even that they're making a little bit more animated and silly each year. Basically if its not live sports and its on ESPN I'm not watching.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The excerpt was good, but I am not going to read a 770-page book about ESPN. And I won't have to. People here will point out the interesting stuff.

11. Re: New ESPN book--a big secret.

If "Who's Next" was the backbreaker, then "Sportscenter with Rick Reilly" was the kill shot for me.

I'm guessing the pieces about who was banging who, along with the drugs, booze and assclownish nature of some is the thing that terrifies most. I'm sure the adventures of Tirico, Reynolds and Phillips will be mild compared to what will come out of this.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'll never forget how into it Stu Scott seemed to be during that whole sorry segment. I was wondering if he was just being a good soldier or if he really loved debating who's more now.

Awful, awful fucking idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted