1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New ESE at San Diego Union-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I was in San Diego in about 2010 (I think) and picked up the UT. Couldn't believe it. This once-proud and pretty good-sized paper had shrunk down to the size of the paper up in San Luis Obispo -- and the SLO paper looked much better. The 2010 UT was tiny, about the size of a paper of 40 thousand circulation. And the content wasn't all that spectacular to make up for the size.

Wishing the new guy good luck at a paper that's had so much turmoil.

2. Bah-da bah-da bump. Any news here on how the changes are going? One minute, the SD lays off a crowd; the next, they're hiring a gaggle. What gives and how is it playing out?

Harrison K. Parker

3. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

I'd like to think things are going well.
    In addition to Stef Loh and Todd Adams, we also just hired Matt Calkins of The Columbian as an enterprise reporter.
    And hopefully there's more to come.

4. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Great start, Larry. Except for that Adams guy. I don't know what you were thinking there.... (Just kidding, Todd of course is a great friend and will be tremendous in SD)

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The hire of Matt Calkins signifies big things to me. He is a fantastic writer. His piece on Junior Seau's suicide - which I have to think helped him land this job - was one of the best of the year.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

None of the newbies from SD have addressed the cheerleader issue yet. That ain't going away, dudes.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

That's phenomenal Sly/Graham Central Station knowledge. Sly, aka Sylvester Stewart, from the Vallejo-Fairfield area, as you well know.

Draft saved Draft deleted