1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New equipment — Why do I not care?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Oct 18, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

New stock over a new computer system? Are you kidding me? I'm sorry, but that's just flat-out stupid.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Re: New equipment — Why do I not care?

When is Guttenberg going to finish that damn printing press he's been working on already?

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, boxes of these just arrived?

[​IMG]

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

We just upgraded to Mac G5's and I just installed Adobe CS2 today. Not sure when we'll switch from Quark to Indesign, but heck, just getting rid of Mac OS9 (Classic) will be worth it. That operating system freezes constantly.

5. Barely two years ago, my paper got new computers for editorial. The old machines had been there for 10+ years, so, yes, the difference in processor speed is there. We also went to a straight-to-plate system. Takes just as long as printing film and burning plates the old way.

I guess it depends on what's getting upgraded.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've got a pica pole.

And I know how to use it!

Most of the time, when computer stuff is real old, the reason that they upgrade it is that technical support is no longer available. If something breaks or if software gets screwed up, no one will fix it any more.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: New equipment — Why do I not care?

and you're bragging about it? you obviously bought into that bullshit that size doesn't matter.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wednesdays at the local weekly. Blindingly obvious, too.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask spnited

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

They make fantastic back scratchers.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

New equipment can mean a world of difference but you may not immediately see it. I'm working on a newer eMac and OSX while my editor has an older G4. When I send pages to him, they just grind on his computer, whereas mine handles them with ease. That has saved me time, I think.

Also, we bought a new digital camera this week after five years. I thought I took good photos before, but the ones with this thing are so clear and the speed is a lot faster. Seeing the results - both in capturing the action, and in the clarity on the page - I wonder what we ever did before.

Though most of us could use raises and more people around, there are definite benefits to new equipment - and often, that money might not have been spent at all.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Pica rules and proportion wheels are still standard equipment at some papers -- those that use the Harris Pagination system that is. That's because the photo deparment still has to send the photos into the pagination system, so the desk still needs to size the photos so they can be easily paginated.

Draft saved Draft deleted