1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Deadspin story on Greg Hardy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or he's just a terrible human being ... or both.

JC likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Give me option three, please.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Bad DNA.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do we really what Manti Te'o did to Lanny? No one has seen her lately

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

In the earlier thread on Ray Rice and Greg Hardy, I counseled caution on reading too much into the Greg Hardy's district court conviction alone, if only because I know how easy it is to get a guilty verdict at that stage based on flimsy evidence and because it is often not a final verdict due to a quirk in North Carolina criminal procedure.

In the eyes of North Carolina law, he was never found guilty. His appeal came within the appropriate time and he received the "de novo" jury trial he was entitled to. The state dismissed the charges before that new trial, so no conviction and his case is eligible to be expunged.

All that said: That's strong evidence. I am somewhat surprised the Mecklenburg DA's office didn't go for the felony charge of assault by strangulation based on what Deadspin has published today. That would have sidestepped the district court sideshow.

Or even if they didn't think they could prove the felony, there is a mechanism for the state to get straight to superior court on a misdemeanor when you expect that case to end up there. Given the likelihood that you'd only get one shot of this victim being cooperative, I also wonder why they didn't go that route.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I wasn't asking for a third option, I was selecting the third option -- both.

But I'll accept yours as well.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's because Hardy can still play. Ray Rice is past his prime. If he wasn't, he'd be on a roster.

Teams don't give a shit about him damn near beating somebody to death. They just care if he can still play.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

He missed the entire 2014 season on the exempt list right? So even though that's not a suspension in legal jargon he's lost 16+4 so 20 games.

He should probably be in jail. That's the justice system. The NFL can't well give him a lifetime ban, so how many games in enough? 20 seems like a decent number to me, in a vacuum.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He was fully paid last year. A true 20 game suspension means 20 weeks of no pay. Big difference.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

NFL fans will be so angry that they'll almost do something.

JackReacher and doctorquant like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but I bet he was plenty piqued that he couldn't go out there and assault people legally for 20 games.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He played in one game in 2014, but was paid for the entire season.

Draft saved Draft deleted