1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New "Deadliest Catch" season begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 15, 2008.

1. The Hilstrand boys are growing on me as well. The truck prank was prety cool.
    Capt. Colburn - the new boat on this year's show - is slightly off kilter.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I kept thinking if there weren't any cameras rolling, that truck would have been dropped overboard.

3. I was suprised they dumped it. I thought with the camera filming the dump they would be subject to some sort of illegal dumping fine.
    Are they fishing in international waters?

4. Inky_Wretch

Yes, they're in international waters.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, I agree. Capt. Phil and Capt. Sig are two of the more compelling characters around. You can throw Edgar into that mix, too.

I was almost certain Phil was going to punch his kid in the face for buying that TV.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When I first started watching the show last year, I really didn't care for Capt. Sig, but through the season he and his crew became my favorite.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wish Nyhammer and the Rollo were still on the show, I liked those guys. The new crew from The Wizard looks like it could be entertaining, though.

The best part about this show is that it's not contrived reality like everything on MTV or Survivor. There isn't a casting director choosing diametrically opposed personalities hoping for cattiness and fistfights.

It's just four crews, the Bering Sea and the stress of trying to earn as much as they can in a short period of time on little sleep.

I have a friend who was on one of these Discovery Channel shows and he said what you see is pretty close to their experience. It's not like they're editing it to make it seem more dramatic than it is. Granted, it's edited down to the most interesting stuff, but everything you see is pretty real.

And I agree with Norm -- Phil, Sig and Edgar are the best guys on the show. I like Jake, too, to a lesser extent, largely because he pushes Phil's buttons. :D

8. Inky_Wretch

I really liked the behind the scenes show that aired last week. It showed how the cameramen do their jobs on the boats. I halfway think that might be as difficult as what the deckhands are doing.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's probably not far off ... most of the heavy lifting is done by cranes on the boats. I guess the ropes they throw over the side probably have some weight to them, so that could get backbreaking. Oh, and the cameramen don't have to hang off the side of the stacks. :eek:

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Nyhammer was a head-scratcher to me. He seemed more like a college kid out for a fun time on the Bering Sea than a lifer captain. But he was a character.

And this newer guy, the one who needed the soup cup to spit into, he seems like an older version of Nyhammer.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Is Sig (Mrs. T's new TV boyfriend) still in the show?

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I've been hooked on this show every since season one. Simply compelling stuff considering what these guys go through, how much they make and how I would last five minutes on one of these boats.

Oh, and if I ever become obscenely rich, I'm going to have Mike Rowe narrate my daily life.

Draft saved Draft deleted