1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Custer bio on PBS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 16, 2012.

1. This looks OK.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/pbs-to-air-new-custer-biography/article_2a89f089-3d41-5d76-9ad2-bcddabab6263.html

Last week I watched a PBS piece on Billy the Kid, that didn't impress me.
    Plus, if this is on past 10 p.m. - I'll turn it over to the season premiere of Justified.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I heard back in the late 1970s that Custer wore an Arrow shirt.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of the most interesting characters in American history, and a big reason the North's cavalry could finally go toe-to-toe with Stuart and his successors in the final two years of the CW. "Son of the Morning Star" is also excellent reading about his time in the Dakota territory. Thanks for the heads-up.

The beauty of the LBH battlefield is that unlike many Civil War battlefields, which are now covered by urban sprawl, it is essentially unchanged since 1876 (especially after the fire in the 1980s cleaned out Medicine Tail Coulee) and you can see exactly how the battle unfolded. It's truly a great place to visit for any American history buff.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really give Custer credit for that, though he proved a capable commander.

The organization of Union cavalry into a bona fide cavalry corp in '63 was the biggest step towards a balance of power between the mounted units of the two Eastern Theater armies.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of reading the Philbrick book. Pretty good so far.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Actually had the chance to fly a few circles over it this spring on my way out to Washington. Having seen it on the ground, and now from the air, I still can't understand how he couldn't defend all that high ground.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

(I think) after the fire the entire area was searched via metal detectors, etc., to find debris, cartridges, etc., and it was determined that not only was Custer heavily outnumbered but he was also outgunned. And by the time he reached Last Stand Hill, only about 1/3 of his 250-odd troops remained, and they were an inexperienced group of troopers.

I expect a mounted group of soldiers with the experience of the Iron or Stonewall brigades would have put up a much better fight, but ultimately with the same result.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Spoiler alert: He dies in a one-sided battle with Native Americans.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I thought it said "Cutler biography" and I was psyched.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does this bio finally answer the question as to whether or not his last words were "Where the fuck did all these Indians come from?"

11. Damn it!!!!

I haven't seen it yet.

Really? Seriously? You had to ruin it?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure I did, because it's fun.

Here's another spoiler alert: Right before he dies, he decides to make a "Last Stand."

Draft saved Draft deleted