1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New columnists at Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Oct 8, 2007.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Steve Campbell and Jerome Solomon have been named columnists in Houston to join Richard Justice. Here is Solomon's first take...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/5195664.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Justice is tremendous on baseball and just OK on other sports.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Campbell was a columnist in Albany.
    Solid stuff, give him some time and he'll be great.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Solomon has been back in Houston for the past year or so, working as an "Internet columnist."

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Interesting to hear the mom's comments (don't know if they were published elsewhere in the wake of that; wasn't paying attention), although it's never really all that good to rip someone else's work, even if erroneous, in your first column.

Took him awhile to get to the point, though, didn't it? Which, I guess, is that we'll get none of those warm, unique, personal moments from the Chron's new columnist. Just the scores, ma'am, just the scores. Too greasy.

I dunno, have to see how he gets broken in. Kind of too much about him, without it really being about him.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

His blog for the Chronicle was/is called "King Solomon's Mind." At one point, he was referring to readers as "my loyal subjects."

Eeesh.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Exactly. His golf stuff was very good.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Unimpressed with Solomon's debut, but first takes are impossible to use as measuring sticks. But it felt like a 30K columnist's weekly offering.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Steve Campbell is a terrific writer, and I look forward to perusing his colmns.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I like reading David Baron.
    He's usually on top of sports TV happenings, even more than Rudy Martzke ever was.

11. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

Geez, how many columnists does the Chron have now? Justice, Solomon, Campbell, John Lopez, Dale Robertson, David Barron ... Anybody left there to actually report the news instead of opine on it?

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

They have just three columnists -- Justice, Campbell and Solomon. Lopez quit last month and is out of the writing business but hosting a radio show, David Barron writes about TV and radio and Dale Robertson hasn't been a columnist in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted