1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New coach pulls women's basketball player's scholarship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shut up and get back in the kitchen!

Please, for the love of God, I hope you know I'm kidding

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Like my big toe, Doc ;)

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Junkie,
    You act as if it's only men who dislike women's hoops. Last I checked, women are roughly half the population, yet the percentage of people who prefer women's basketball to the men's game is FAR, FAR less than half. (And I'm being very generous to you here. Based on attendance and television audience the it's probably about 99 to 1 in favor of the men's game.) So, don't act like men are the only people who dislike women's hoops. It's a near universally disliked sport.

As for your second assertion, equating me to a racist, give it a rest. You can mischaracterize my post all you want but it's transparent. By your misguided construction, everyone who enjoys men's basketball and not women's basketball is tantamount to a racist.

I'll be the first in line to buy a ticket to see the first woman that makes the starting five on an NBA team. Heck, why not get the 12 best female players in the game and give them an NBA team -- replace the Hawks with them and see if they could be any worse. That'd be great fun! The truth is women quite literally aren't in the same league with men in the sport of basketball. The truth is women's basketball is subsidized by men's programs at the professional and collegiate level (with rare exceptions). Truth is an absolute defense here.

Maybe I'm an asshole for point it out, but that's the only difference between myself and most other people who have watched this hideous event being played up close and personal. I guess I shouldn't have said anything.

Please carry on with your enjoyment of women's hoops. I'm sure there are some up sides I haven't thought about like being able to sit wherever you want, being able to park right next to the arena, no lines at the restroom, etc.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So it must give you great joy to be able to act like such a condescending little prick today.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Just thought'd I'd try being like you for day :)

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You're full of shit. The huge majority of the sporting audience has no particular opinion for or against women's basketball.

The vast majority of those with vehement anti-women's sports attitudes develop those attitudes as an outgrowth of deep-seated sexual insecurities, usually related to genital size.

Carry on. I have only so much time to play in the intellectual sandbox tonight.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Sad that said coach not only screwed up her future, but that of this players as well.
    She was pretty damn good at Lawrence High, too bad this happened. And was Blodgett also a Lawrence High grad? I thought I read that somewhere else? If so she witch slapped a fellow Lancer.

8. RedSmithClone

My bad, just found another link sayign it was a different Lawrence High School.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Junkie and Point of Order - You're both wrong.

POO - Women's basketball is a different sport from men's basketball, but it most certainly is a sport. Try covering it sometime. And i'm talking good women's basketball. I prefer the men's game, but there far worse women's sports to cover than basketball (Now, a bad women's basketball team is another story).

Junkie - You'd be surprised at the talent level (or lack thereof) of many girls on scholarship. Once you get outside the Top 10, the drop off is amazing. An adequate high school boys player would be a stud if he played women's college basketball. Not saying that to demean the sport. Just sayin

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This, I can agree with.

As someone who has loved a number of female athletes throughout his life, let me just say, PofO, you're being a real douche bag here. You don't like the sport? That's fine. Don't watch. But don't sit here and say it's the worst sport ever, it should be killed off because you don't like it, that it shouldn't exist because it's subsidized by the men's sports.

Here is a newsflash, bro. All these college sports, even the men, are subsidized in one way or another, whether it's through tax dollars paying for the stadium, through public funds paying coaches' salaries, or through the simple act of having a collegiate sport that essentially serves as a de facto minor league. Without a college, there would be no men's basketball. And since federal law says you need to provide an equal opportunity for both genders, it seems like a pretty good idea to have women's varsity sports since, you know, none of us would be here if not for our mothers and what not.

Frankly, college and high school sports shouldn't be about who "99 percent of the fans" want to see on TV. There ought to be some scholastic purpose behind it all. But the NCAA would rather whore out these kids for gigantic piles of money, and the money is clearly in men's basketball and football. So I'm glad to see you've slurped their Kool-Aid.

I've seen some bad women's basketball, and I've seem some awful men's basketball too. It's kind of hard to expect women to play at the same level as men since, you know, as a society we didn't let them play organized sports until like 1970. But whatever. I'm going to have daughters someday, and I'm going to teach them to throw bounce passes on the break from half court with their left hand. And if they can't do it? Oh well. May they be novelists or poets or musicians.

Unless you think there are no good women novelists either, and that MFA programs are subsidized by the male authors out there who win all the awards. Because if you tell me that's the case, I'm going to have to reluctantly enroll them in a nunnery, posthaste.

11. RedSmithClone

Absolutely agree with D-D on this one. I can't friggin stand when people say soccer isn't a sport - men or women.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I know nothing about this situation.

I just know that a player's scholly should NEVER be pulled if they are giving great effort and just aren't talented enough. That is the coaches' fault, and that coach went in the kid's living room and told the parents they would take care of their child. If you inherit the player, the same rule should apply.

Kid gets in trouble/gets bad grades/doesn't work hard = pull it any time.
    Kid does none of the above = coach is a shithead.

Draft saved Draft deleted