1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Cliches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jay_christley, Nov 2, 2006.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

"Stepping up" annoys me a little.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

you can gauge the thoroughness that a cliche has seeped into the national sporting consciousness by the frequency with which it's used by high school athletes.

Certainly, not a postgame interview goes by for me in which some young athlete doesn't tell me that he or she had to "step up."

Another one the football coaches around here (eastern NC) have seized upon is "coached up," which is almost 10 years after the ol' Ballcoach made it part of the national sporting lexicon.

Finally, it's not a cliche but I don't ever talk to a coach without getting second-hand information. Every interview contains a preface of "It's just like I tell these kids..."

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I've never gotten the "untracked" thing either. Why in the hell would a team not want to be a on track? Isn't that the goal? When I've used, I've always done on track.

I also had to stop myself from using "instant classic" not long ago. It just hit me that a middle-of-the-season prep tennis match probably shouldn't qualify.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

"Scoop and score" from football.

"Score the basketball" from hoops. You don't score the basketball. You score by putting the ball in the fucking hoop.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Definitely the most prevalent are:

"It is what it is"
    "At the end of the day"

(sometimes, people will go through both of those in one comment).

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Take away "step up" and "like", and the nation's female prep athletes would lose about 87 percent of their vocabulary when talking to reporters.

"Walkoff" doesn't bother me at all.

7. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

What is another name for "derailed?" Is that the daily double?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They love "threw him under the bus."

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

They love sucking. Ever hear their lead-pipe cinch locks segment at the end of the week. Most annoying, obnoxious feature in talk radio and that's quite an accomplishment.

Yeah, I know, turn the channel...

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I do switch stations. I like a lot of their show, but I turned just before the lead-pipe lock segment because it is such a silly disaster. I also can't stand when Greenberg says several times each day that they are "back and better than ever."

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In this particular circumstance [/al groh]

Draft saved Draft deleted