1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Cliches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jay_christley, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've seen it as a hammerhed. Never in the body of a story.

"Under the bus" is the most insipid of the new cliches.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I use "it is what it is" all of the time on a radio segment I do, just because it bothers the host.

Seriously, if I see "walkoff" anything or "instant classic" in any stories, it comes out. Same with "web gems."

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Along with "under the bus", "drinking the ________ Kool-Aid" ... nothing like a mass suicide reference.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Moving forward. ... as in "what will this team do, moving forward."

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"I look at it as the most important game of the season because it’s the next game."

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

This is a butcher of an older cliche, but I've seen writers in the past few months write that a team or player will try to get "untracked" in the next week, game, etc. Am I out of the loop, or isn't it still "on track" and a poor cliche to begin with?

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

A stringer at my old paper insisted it was untracked, much to my bewilderment. And I see it written as such in other articles, from time to time. If a train gets untracked, that's a fucking bad thing.

8. KP

KP Active Member

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

"I think I threw up in my mouth a little."

Thanks, Bill.

10. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Instant classic? Haven't used that one before, but thanks for the idea.

Just for fun, my coworker and I like to see how many Jim Ross-isms we can sneak in, such as "slobberknocker," "whipped like a government mule," and my all-time favorite "tougher than a $2 steak."

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning for 20 minutes, pick out half of what they say and post it on here.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

lol...good 1, btw.

Draft saved Draft deleted