1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

And that's why I think Kelly went off. He's trying to change that and bring attention to his program. Coverage is a start.

Big East offices are a half-hour up the road in Providence. But yeah, I don't know why they couldn't do it in New York City, like with basketball.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Starman, in our market, TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.

I'd bet we got not one complaint about not being there. If we skipped a Yankees road trip, we'd be inundated with complaints.

But since you are the authority on all things, I will happily refer to my paper as a bush-league fish-wrap... that understands its readers

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media

When people don't see the things they want to see in the paper, 98% of them don't call to complain. They just quit reading the paper.

Publishers scrimping a hundred bucks here and a hundred bucks there are strangling our industry. The moneygrubbing fuckers should be called on it whenever possible.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

This has nothing to do with a "moneygrubbing fucker" publisher. This has to do with a sports editor deciding how best to use his resouorces -- both financial and personnel -- and deciding (properly in my opinion) that Big East Media Day is not worth it.

And I guarantee nobody quit reading our paper because we used an AP story out of Newport, RI instead of a staff story.

I'm sorry you work somehwere with a moneygrubbing fucker for a publisher.
    I don't.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree - I doubt anyone quit reading a paper because it didn't cover a media day. But I also doubt anyone started reading a paper because it didn't cover a media day. If the news biz is making decision based on how many readers it will or won't lose to decide what to cover instead of what it can cover that might ADD readers the business will never recover.
    I think you send your beat guy to media day and arrange a phone interview with the local sports talk station back home, promote the fact that you are there and what stories you'll have in the paper the next day and I'm pretty sure you'll generate more readership.

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

As someone who spent a misguided year as a UC student and also worked with Tim Sullivan at the newspaper in question here (covered Kentucky preps there back when Duran Duran was considered a hot group), a couple of points:

1. Interest in UC football ranks right around where whale shit lays in the ocean. Always has. Always will. People in that area care about these things in football season: Moeller, Highlands, CovCath, NewCath, Princeton, Elder, St. X, etc., etc., and the Bengals on Sunday. Cincinnati isn't even an Ohio State town. Half the people there send their kids to Michigan.

2. Gotta agree with the points made by spnited. Were the Enquirer to skip a Reds road trip -- even on a Reds team that could be 52-92 by September -- they'd have to take their phones off the hook. I also agree that many preseason college media day junkets are largely a waste of time and that resources can be used in far better ways. I did my share and am glad to not have to deal with those anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted