1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

But he noticed that they hired a stringer?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Cincy also assumed that it would be safe to send a stringer since the coach wouldn't notice. And even if he did, what would he say? No one points out the shortcomings of those who buy their ink by gallon.
    Especially love the attitude of "we'll just investigate the program and see how much he likes coverage then."

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media

Some of it is "I took the time to come to this, but my paper didn't?" That's fair.

Some of it is the "You should be at every opportunity we give you to see us and meet with us. If you're not, I'm going to have less respect for you than I do for those who do show up." That's fair.

And like it or not, curse the coach or not, if he perceives you're slacking, it's going to affect the way he deals with you. I had a coach answer my questions in postseason in private after shunning a couple of others, and he said, "You've been here the whole time. Why should they get the same you get?"

I have no problem with the coach saying this. It's no worse than "They should have run a play-action pass on third down" from a columnist that didn't break down hours of film, didn't study tendencies for five days, doesn't know the personnel (or football) as well and would probably freeze if faced with that decision before the play. I mean, yeah, the coach might not understand our business and budget constraints, etc., but most of us fool ourselves into thinking we know their business.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Where would you suggest the Enquirer cut elsewhere? UC hoops? UK hoops? The football team averaged a shade of 20k/game with a high of 27,804 (just less than 80% full) for #7 Rutgers.

Sure, in a perfect world the beat writer should be sent there, but when tough choices need to be made, someone isn't going to be happy.

Was Pittsburgh ranked when they beat Cincy?

5. Johnny Dangerously

Re: New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media

If the story is accurate, he popped off about more than one paper:

Instead of promoting his team and his players, Kelly spent most of his time criticizing Cincinnati print and electronic media outlets for not staffing the event.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gannett has plenty of money. Let 'em spend it.

If your city has a D-I football program, you should cover it. At home, and on the road. And, at the preseason press meetings.

And if you don't, you're a bush-league fishwrap.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

What he said. Perfect answer.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If budgets are that tight in Cincinnati that they are choosing to hamstring their beat writers, I'm surprised they didn't do a content-share arrangement with another Gannett paper covering the event.
    Sure budgets are tight, but they could have saved money allowing a beat writer to fill up a couple of pages worth of stuff for a football preview section (with advertising) over a couple of days instead of spending more time (and money) getting the same info over the phone.

9. Johnny Dangerously

All I know is a lot of newspapers are giving readers less than in the past, and there are more alternatives for their readers than at any time.

Not a good combination, especially not if those trends continue.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I did when I was covering Kentucky State at my last stop. The rapport and relationships built from that experience is great, and something that will hopefully last a long time.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

From the CINCY ENQUIRER:
    Enquirer exec: Market competitive

Although Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky will cease to be a two-newspaper region come 2008, the Enquirer's top executive says the market would continue to be "very competitive."
    Margaret Buchanan, who has served as publisher of the Kentucky and Cincinnati Enquirer since 2003, said the newspaper still would face competition from television, radio and other emerging media on the Internet.
    Buchanan said the paper has no plans to cut back after The Post closes at the end of year, particularly in Northern Kentucky where the Kentucky Enquirer has beefed up its newsroom in recent years.
    "I will tell you there is plenty of competition out there, some of which didn't even exist five years ago," she said.
    "We're competing against everything from the Internet to weekly papers, so it's not like you're going to see any sharp cut-back in coverage from our end."

(my biggest complaint of the hatchet work going on in the industry is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of creativity involved in the budget decisions. It's as if the editors are modeling their budget management after a Civil War doctor when alternatives may exist to lessen the impact of a budget crunch and maybe increase the amount of money coming in.)

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Two thoughts:

(1) Will Kelly step to the plate when his AD and president come to the podium some time in the next couple of years to announce that they're whacking a couple of sports in a budget-related move? Will he volunteer to trim $150K from the football budget to preserve tennis, cross country and swimming? yeah, I didn't think so,

(2) Media Day is a great way to get a head start on in-season game preview stories you'll be writing, but in the tech era they're hardly essential. It's possible to hop on weekly conference calls done by the schools and the leagues to pick up material the week of the game that will be much more timely. I've even gone so far as to listen in on coaches radio call-in shows via the Internet to pick up tidbits. Yeah, it can be time consuming, but I'd rather do it that way than to chew up $800 on a trip to media day and then be told in December that we can't travel to the Weed-whacker Bowl because we used that money on a trip ro Rhode Island in August.

Draft saved Draft deleted