1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What's his reaction going to be when the Post, you know, ceases to exist?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Re: New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media

I don't mind him pointing that out. But don't take it out on the stringer. And answer some questions about football.

Also, this seems like a topic that would be better broached between Kelly and the powers-that-be at the Enquirer in private ... not in public at media day.

He was being a dick. And, at times, that's OK. But I don't think that was the best way to handle this beef, IMO.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

And, boom goes the dynamite.

4. At least all the other newspapers who staffed Big East Media Day can thank the Enquirer for giving them a real news story out of that staged, controlled, just-for-the-exposure event.

The reason conferences do these media days is for the convenience of the media. You have all the coaches in one setting and don't have to waste half your summer tracking them down. Ever try to get a D-IA football coach on the phone during the summer? Next to impossible. The Enquirer blew it big-time, and I don't blame Kelly for pointing it out on the stage supplied him. That said, he should bend over backward for the beat writer, who probably would have preferred to be there.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

He's right. If the paper plans to cover UC football, they can't start with a stringer at media day. The coach has right to be pissed off. It sends a, "we're going to sorta cover your team, but not real close," kind of message. He's trying to be a squeaky wheel and get more coverage.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

In the old days it was done this way, either individually by writers visiting coaches or as a group like the SEC Skywriters.

Coaches grew tired of a writer one day, a writer the next, two the following day. Then it became a group thing and grew larger, until conferences began holding events and controlling them better with coaches, players, specific times and splitting up the writers, TV and radio people.

So it's a little of both, convenience for the media and the coaches.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Our paper, up until this year, has typically done both. We go to media days. And we go on a football tour of all the schools in the conference, to run in a 12-day series during fall camp.

We're not doing the tour this year, because we are cheap.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I like Kelly for calling out the cincy media... UC football is WAYYYY down the priority list for the enquirer and other local outlets.

Hopefully, he follows those comments up by calling out his own student body and alumni base. Until UC can put more than seven butts in the seats for a football game, the cincy media will continue to pay more attention to the sports and teams their readership actually appears interested in.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If you're the enquirer, do you bother to explain to your readers why you didn't staff it? Or do you just ignore it?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Football is king in this country, and in places where college football is big, media days are HUGE. People eat up every story. They starve for football. I understand UC football isn't the biggest game in town, but UC isn't exactly a small school ... it's the first taste of football for the season, and if your beat writer isn't there, you look small-time and rinky dink. Pathetic decision by the CE.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Probably would be best to explain it. I'm curious about the answer (although I think it's pretty obvious).
    You're right. And, it's a first-year coach, so you should be there for his first media day.

UC is the home school for the Enquirer. Not the favorite for most of the readers, but it's still the home school.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

Re: New Cincy coach criticizes Enquirer, others, for not staffing Big East media

or someone who knows nothing about the market

enquirer won't go to big ten (11) media days. they don't have an ohio state writer

nobody inside 275 gives a shit about college football

Draft saved Draft deleted