1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Christmas movies that are becoming classics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, the Mrs. 93 and I watched a movie last night which has become a holiday tradition in our household. It is not a traditional film that our parents watched with Jimmy Stewart or Bing Crosby, but it is becoming our movie or our generation's movie.

And the more I watch it, the more I like it. It is clever, funny, has some cool tunes and is touching at the end.

The movie is Elf with Will Farrell and the great Zooey Deschanel.

Not sure how many people have passed this one over, but it is a solid, solid movie, IMHO.

So what others can be added to this list?

The qualifier will be that it has to be released post-Christmas Story. Bonus points if you can somehow work Santa into the story and is clean enough for a young child to watch.

2. "Christmas Vacation"

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Four Christmases. Not sure if it can be considered a classic, but I liked it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids really liked Polar Express. It looks kind of cool on a bigger screen, but some of that animation and the way people move really creeps me out.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a huge Elf fan. I hate Will Ferrell 99 percent of the time, but I adore that flick.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

No, no, no, no, no, no .... and no again. Terrible script about terrible people doing terrible things. Little to no redeeming value in the movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Farrell would make a lot of people not watch Elf, but he was still throwing fastballs back then and Favreau had a character perfect for his schtick.

8. JackReacher

Lots of awkward situations in that movie. That's what made it enjoyable for me. Plus, I like just about anything Vince Vaughn is in. Loved Duvall's character, too.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can take or leave Ferrell in this role. You kind of have to buy into it and just go with it to enjoy the movie.

But I liked Zooey and I really liked James Caan's simmering frustration.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am about over Vince Vaughn. He's the guy-movie equivalent of Hugh Grant, playing the same stupid adolescent character in every movie.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Love, Actually.

12. JackReacher

Agree completely about his roles. And I hate Hugh Grant for that very reason. I have no excuse for liking Vaughn, because you're right; it's the same role. I guess I like his character better than Grant's. Who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted