1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New cellular telephone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I have the Omnia and like it quite a bit. The call quality is exceptional, the pics are the best of any cell phone around (5 MP), but I'm not a fan of texting and e-mailing with the touchscreen buttons. That's a few years from being perfected still, so if you're going to use it mostly for texting and e-mailing, I'd go with something with a real QWERTY keyboard with physical keys.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new phone come Christmas. I want an i-Phone, or at least something with a QWERTY keyboard.

I may even think about switching from AT&T, although I've not had a lot of problems with them. Only thing I hate about my current phone, a Sony Ericsson X-something or other, is it shuts itself off a lot of times. I've had it looked at five or six times, and nothing has worked.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

T-Mobile's G1 Android phone has a slide out QWERTY keypad as well as a touchscreen keyboard that pops up when the keypad is closed.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

CELLULAR phone? What are you, 80? :)

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Sometimes I like to talk in such a manner, Ryan.. ha.

I've been spoiled by my Blackberry. Love the keyboard, scroll knob and display. But, she's falling apart and I just want to get back into the normal phones/plans. Having my email has been great and I do enjoy browsing SJ and some other sites on down time when I'm away from my Mac, but in all honesty I can do without those add ons..hopefully.

@Jack-I text a bit, probably 200 times a month which is super low compared to when I used to text around 800-1,000 times a month. I'll fiddle around with it today at this store before work. I think this place is a VZW specific store. Gosh, sometimes living in the mountains can suck. I hope I don't have to drive to Denver just to decide on a new phone.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

We got something like that, yeah. I think we got the nationwide select plan for $119.99 a month, which gives us 1400 minutes to share, unlimited text, picture and video messaging, mobile-to-mobile, long distance. No internet, no email. We can pay to download games if we want.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm with Sprint and pay 39.99 a month; Vision plan (which I dropped for the summer cause of cost) was 15 bucks more
    I looked at a touch screen in my last upgrade but like PC said: I wasn't going to pay 99 bucks a month for the interwebs plan for that phone.
    So I have my plain old phone with web and photo capabalitiy, 750 anytime, 3000 night and weekend, Sprint to Sprint calling all for free, $5 for texting and $5 more for roaming...

8. Madhavok

I'm on the basic America's Choice for $39.99 and have been on that plan since 2004. I don't see why I should have to upgrade my plan which gives me nothing but this whole data plan for dummies scheme for an extra $20.

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

You don't have to get a data plan with the Env Touch. That's why we got it--we were purposefully avoiding smartphones so we didn't have to pay for that.

10. Madhavok

OK. But for some reason Verizon is telling me I need the Nationwide plan ($59.99) instead of my current plan (America's Choice $39.99) to get the Touch. I use this basic plan with BB and just added the unlimited data plan with it. Sneed, thanks for the info.

11. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah man. I don't know why they're telling you that. Maybe there is something more to it that I just didn't know about. We just wanted unlimited text and picture/video messaging, which bumped ours from a combined $69.99/month to $99.99/month. It went up to $119.99 when we added 700 shared minutes.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

The reason why some of you don't want the Internet on your phone is because it doesn't work or look like the Internet on your home computer.
    Get a "real" smartphone like the Palm Pre or the iPhone and you'll see you can get the "real" Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted