1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New cell phones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

In the next couple of weeks I will be in line for a new cell phone. I have never really been up on all the new technology stuff when it comes to phones, although it intrigues me. I have had my current phone for three years and never had a need to get into the new techno stuff until now.

My cell is my only phone, but I also use it a little bit for texting and going online.

Any reccomendations?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've had my eyes on a Droid Eris for weeks now. I'm eligible for my two-year upgrade today, so I'll probably hit the Verizon store sometime Monday to pick it up. Reading the reviews, seems like the one knock is battery life, but I would expect that from any of these smart phones with what they handle.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I've had Verizon for around 10 years and have gotten two-plus years out of each phone.

Then I went to the LG Voyager in June. I just got my replacement in the mail a few days ago, because the damn thing's battery wouldn't last six hours on a full charge and the inside keyboard screen fizzled out. Once this replacement Voyager goes, that's it.

I did see that Droid phone, though ... pretty sweet.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Funny you should say this. I'm going to the VZW store today to have them look at mine. It's lasted 22 months, but yesterday the touch screen just died. Nothing. No reactions. My inside keyboard is fine, but my touch screen is dead. Love my Voyager (though it doesn't hold a charge, you're right).

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I have an LG Xenon. I love it for the phone and texting, but the internet is a bit cumbersome on it. I'm currently shopping for an iPhone.

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I've been eligible for the new-every-2 upgrade for about six weeks now, but have held out. I really, really liked the Rogue when I tried it out in the store, but was told I was required to upgrade from the Select plan (unlimited texting) to the Connect plan (unlimited texting and data), which would be an extra $10 a month. I've got friends with the EnV Touch, which costs a little more but doesn't require the plan increase.

I'd prefer the Rogue, but I'm not crazy about being required to upgrade my plan. I'm assuming you've got the Connect plan. Is it worth the extra money every month?

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I am considering the iPhone right now -- not sure if I can get the Droid Eris up here -- Anyone have one?

8. maberger

maberger Member

iphone is great ... when 3g network is available. be sure to check in your area for that. it's fine without it, but i think we're all spoiled by insta-internet.

9. imjustagirl

You're a better person than I am. Played with the Eris today at the VZW store. It has super skinny letters like the Blackberry, but since it's a touchscreen, it's virtually impossible for me to type on them. The iPhone is much less sensitive, and seems to read what you're trying for much better. It took 4 minutes for me to type in "espn.com" on the browser.

The regular Droid, however? LOVES.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I went to the Verizon store last night, and they told me the Droid with the keyboard is $200 vs the touch-screen for $100. That's bullshit.

I have a Samsung Omnia and I hate it. The screen is ultra-sensitive and it takes me about an hour to text becausethe letters are so small. I'll probably downgrade from my smartphone to a Rogue next activation period.

11. imjustagirl

That's after the mail-in rebate. It's $300 vs. $200 up front. With my "new every two" it would cost me $200 up front for the Droid, and I'd get a $100 rebate card in the mail.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm up for an upgrade next month. Thinking about getting an i-Phone or something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted