1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New car Driving a stick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 12, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I drive a stick and wouldn't have it any other way voluntarily. I had a lot of trouble finding this last car, though. I lived in Tallahassee at the time and couldn't find a used manual-transmission Toyota for a long time. I finally went down to Orlando and had a choice.

I loved having it at the ranch, where I was one of the few people who had vehicles. They'd ask to borrow it going into town and I'd say sure thing, it's a stick...and then they'd be crestfallen it wasn't.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've never had a vehicle that wasn't equipped with a manual transmission. Wouldn't want to drive anything else on a regular basis.

My history with slushboxes is sketchy at best. What the vehicle wants for a gear and what I want can be two different agendas. Worst, most slushboxes are hesitant to do anything, and that's a nightmare when downshifting. More than once, I've wanted some punch out of a vehicle, press down on the accelerator when the slushbox hesitates and have triggered a downshift of more than one gear.

In my current vehicle, I take it out of sixth and go to fourth, or five to three. Or whatever. Additionally, it gets better mileage, crosses off the slushbox option off the checklist (which still usually costs extra), doesn't have the issues I've heard of all too often with slushboxes, is better to drive and truly control in inclement weather and is much better on the brakes on serious mountain roads if you have some knowledge of controlling your vehicle with the manual.

Downshifting in a manual can help you slow down. Using your brakes too often, especially going downhill, will cause them to overheat and fade (think of those glowing red-to-white rotors seen on your favorite sponsored rides on Lap 480 at Martinsville Speedway). And, going uphill, if your vehicle is struggling with a certain gear in a slushbox, it's an easy downshift in a manual. More efficient for the vehicle, better gasoline mileage and usually a smoother feel for driver and any possible passengers.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

do you find that you shift at a higher RPM (>3K) then an automatic would do or earlier(<2.3)?

4. Sam Mills 51

Lots of variables. Did you just get in front of someone who's clearly going to push you? Are you easing into a slow-moving bunch? Do you wind out the lower gears and are already at speed when shifting into sixth? Do you wind it out so much that skipping gears on the higher end isn't far-fetched?

I shift when I need to ... been doing it long enough not to watch my tach when doing so. To answer your question best, I usually shift a little early to keep gas consumption somewhat reasonable. But my vehicle's redline is 7,900 RPM. Every once in a while, I'll linger in a gear a while to burp the baby and help keep the crap in the engine itself to a minimum ...

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think this is the part that keeps tripping me up. If I'm at a red light behind a manual, i accelerate, then have to let off, then accelerate, then let off, then finally accelerate while they get themselves up to speed. It's annoying as all fuck. Mash the gas and get out of my way.

Also, living where I live, anything that's not conducive to driving in traffic will probably never be an option for me. :)

6. Sam Mills 51

I'm in a mix of traffic and open spaces. But it would take overwhelming traffic for me to even consider a slushbox. We're just not a match. :)

You must not have gotten behind drivers in manual who know what they're doing. Doubt anyone who has ridden with me will gripe that I take too long to shift or cause too many people behind me to slow down.

Or in your language, IJAG, mash the gas, use the clutch and stick with some modicum of skill and get out of MY way.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've ridden with you. :D

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I drive two vehicles. One is a manual and the other is automatic. I've gone through three clutches with the manual at $400-plus a pop, and never had an issue with the automatic.

I learned to drive with a manual at age 14 and took the driving test with an automatic, which was piss-easy. I don't know of any states that have a separate endorsement for stick-driving the same way they do for motorcycles.

9. Sam Mills 51

Riding the clutch? Too much if-you-can't-find-it-grind-it? Or were the replacements not installed correctly?

IJAG ... and you survived. Amazing ... :p :D

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To get rid of the texting-while-driving epidemic, getting manuals back in vogue would be a good start.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No, just lots of mileage. If any one thing goes wrong (slave cylinder, release bearing, etc), most mechanics want to replace the whole clutch. The cost of parts is nothing compared to the labor and they've pulled the transmission anyway.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Methinks that would just make it worse. Some people are just that addicted to their phones. But it's a good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted