1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new britain, conn: "starting-level pay ... lot of experience and responsibility"

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in other words, a recipe of fail.

the jrc.

from journalismjobs.com:

Company: Journal Register Co.
    Position:
    News and sports editors/copy editors
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    October 10, 2008
    Job ID: 972965

Description:
    A group of small dailies in central Connecticut is looking for news and sports copy editors with strong English skills, good graphic sense, a love of precision and organization, rock-solid common sense, sensitivity toward the communities they serve, an interest in learning and immediately applying that knowledge and an ability to handle high-pressure situations with grace and creativity. (People interested in the sports copy editing job should also have extensive knowledge and interest in sports, including at the community level.) Applicants should be willing to work nights and weekends for starting-level pay — but they will get a lot of experience and responsibility, fast.

The ideal candidate has worked with Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop and has a journalism degree and/or experience in journalism as writer and editor. Independent, conscientious and eager candidates are invited to send a resume, cover letter and any applicable clips or samples to mlevy@newbritainherald.com, mail them to the attention of Marc Levy at 1 Herald Square, New Britain CT 06050 or fax them to (860) 223-8171. We are looking to hire fast, so candidates already in or near central Connecticut are especially invited.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

BYH to the yellow courtesy phone. BYH, please pick up the yellow courtesy phone.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

see ya in hell jelloneck and the boys. see ya in hell.

4. Good thing Connecticut isn't an expensive place to live. Oh, wait ...

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hard hittin' New Britain.

I was told to never live there for fear of my life. So take that for what it's worth. I googled 'crime reports New Britain' and the sex offender count is REALLY high.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm guessing on the salary that they'd pay, you might have to actually live in New Britain, which you definitely don't want to do.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, what are you trying to say, starman?

9. you could always live in middletown. oh, wait ...

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

jrc is go at throttle-up

uh-oh

[​IMG]

11. a smart man/woman told you that, although a nice swath of hartford is almost as bad.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

There was always that vibe driving around New Britain...that on every street corner lurked a skeevy old man hoping to take you for a "walk."

That said, its bark--at least in terms of being a horrible place to live--is worse than its bite. It's just a crappy town. Not great, not a safe place in a bunch of spots, but I can think of five or six worse towns in CT alone.

As for the gig...I'll be back in a minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.