1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Britain (Conn.) Herald closing up shop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Nov 10, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thirteen is an unlucky number.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i7Szooj8-aJWMfmEJHmT8kDDgVQgD94D1RD84

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

here are the questions: if none of the 13 papers had presses, what the fuck happened to them, and how in the world do you expect someone to buy a newspaper without one?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most if not all print in New Haven now.

They're hoping someone buys the papers and continues to print them in New Haven... JRC unloads the papers and gets a sizable printing contract, too. Of course, that's probably not going to happen.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know of some papers that make a profit only because they have a press.

were there once presses at these shops?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

no, that's just the JRC.

The only time the JRC reports on itself is when it wants to report how well the stock is doing. Front page stories in those cases!

Haven't read much about the stock lately.

The Herald had a circ of at least 25K, I believe, under the Brown family. It's absolutely amazing how many readers the JRC has driven off in CT.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hard to believe, I know, but when I was a kid my family got both the Courant and the Herald. It was a decent paper then, too.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fixed.

AJR had listed the JRC circulation plunges of its various papers in 2000. The one that struck me was the Troy Record, which was a 40,000 circ. paper and had dropped to 15,000 in seven years.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Buyer found for Bristol/New Britain.

http://bristolpress.com/articles/2009/01/06/news/doc49640070c03a2946065834.txt

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's good news...

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awesome news.

Draft saved Draft deleted