1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Boston Globe editor: Brian McGrory

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Dec 20, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

McGrory, an assistant editor and twice-a-week columnist, takes over for Martin Baron, now at the Post.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2012/12/20/brian-mcgrory-named-globe-new-editor/EhBzGTHu3K0qPTHspdKaQJ/story.html

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's a horrible columnist, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good editor. However, as a Globe reader, the banality of his columns makes me doubtful.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If anything, the banality of someone's columns probably makes them prime editor material. If they were great at writing and thinking outside the box, and perhaps thought that were their calling, they might have stuck with writing. I know, a simplification and a prejudice, but not a foreign summation of what differentiates a writer from an editor.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that. The best editors I had, and I was lucky to have many good ones, were insightful thinkers. They had ideas and an idea on how to implement them. They knew their writers and how to get the best out of them. McGrory demonstrated precisely zero creativity or insight in his many years as a metro columnist.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm interested in seeing whether he still writes on occasion. Despite Mr. Gee's critique, he does have somewhat of a following.

6. i never cared much for mcgroury as a columnist, but thinking about it now, outside of derrick z. jackson (who is great), are there any globe columnists worth reading?

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I enjoy Chad Finn's columns.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted