1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New book: Dykstra was secretly paid to tout stocks on TheStreet.com

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And as part of the deal, Nails was given access to Jim Cramer:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/8741_jimcramerlennydykstrastockscandalreportsthezeroes;_ylt=AiYoqGear3Yl3lsOLrMraElv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTRqYnJ1MHE2BGFzc2V0A2RhaWx5YmVhc3QvMjAxMDA2MjgvODc0MV9qaW1jcmFtZXJsZW5ueWR5a3N0cmFzdG9ja3NjYW5kYWxyZXBvcnRzdGhlemVyb2VzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDNARzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA2ppbWNyYW1lcnN0bw--

Yep, one of my favorite players as a youth was not only a scam artist, but a sell out as well.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe it's true. It wouldn't be completely surprising. But Randall Lane, the guy who wrote that column, has a serious bone to pick with Len Dykstra. Lane was in business with Dykstra to do that magazine for athletes that ended up with stacks of unpaid bills because Dykstra was a deadbeat. And the two of them ended up suing and countersuing each other.

The thing is, though, there are plenty of people who think Randall Lane is as much of a fraud as Dysktra. Lane was an editor and then a wannabe publisher, whose former company did a bunch of magazines for wealthy people and traders, which he mentioned. What he doesn't mention is that Lane has bankrupted two publishing companies and lost a few millions of dollars for his investors before ending up with people suing him too. He left a lot of writers for Trader Monthly unpaid and dozens of creditors and lawsuits in his wake. He discloses his side of the mess of his Dykstra lawsuits in that column, but Randall Lane is not all roses, as I am sure the book he's trying to plug makes it seem.

Lenny Dykstra is obviously a joke, but do I really need a guy who near as I can tell has never done anything successful, weighing in with his "Wall Street is corrupt," book at this point, which I suspect is only getting published because Lane's wife is actually a successful writer with publishing contacts? For all I know Lenny Dykstra and Jim Cramer were doing pump and dump schemes. I'd believe it with any amount of evidence from someone who was not actually tangled in law suits with the guy he is now "exposing." I wish someone a bit more credible, and a little less self-interested when it comes to Dykstra than Randall Lane was writing the guest expose about it.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lane cites a direct source of evidence which is damning on Dykstra, guy named O'Connor and the guy who game the 250,000 shares did not dispute it. Lane may have had an agenda but he backs it up with proof.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That O'Connor guy had a business relationship with Dykstra, too. Given Dykstra's penchant for stiffing people, it's probably even money that O'Connor has some sour grapes, too. His heresay and some stock certificates aren't any more proof that it was a pump and dump scheme than the Illingworth guy's denial is proof that the allegations aren't true. It's all he said/he said without anything more convincing than that.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If I can't have faith in an upstanding gentleman like Lenny Dykstra, then there's nothing else in the world that's worth believing in.

[/bluefont]

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't stop

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have to think that anyone who would make stock investments on the advice of Lenny Dykstra was bound to be swindled by somebody sooner or later, and in fact, was probably doubling down to make back the losses from the previous time they were swindled. I mean, that's a level of stupid that is actually awe-inspiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted