1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New book claims John Lennon was an abusive deviant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The article said that Yoko said that John said this.

In other breaking news, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Well said. And I believe I said in my post that sales and popularity doesn't equal greatness (and I'll add depth to the list of what it doesn't equal). But it has to mean something, right? People didn't just lap up all that stuff by McCartney in the 70s because he was an ex-Beatle. They did it because it was good to listen to. And most of it still is. "Maybe I'm Amazed," "Band on the Run," "Jet" and "My Love" hold up as well or better than anything Lennon did other than "Imagine."

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Lennon was fucked up because Yoko was butt-ugly from the get-go.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the only true album by an ex-Beatle I own. It's extremely unfocused, but it's great moments are truly great.

And everytime I hear the song All Things Must Pass, I think of when I was in my car, listening to BBC radio, and heard from the Beeb that George Harrison died. They followed their report by playing the song, which I hadn't heard to that time, and it made me tear up. Very powerful in that moment.

I should get Plastic Ono Band, I've liked nearly everything I've heard from it.

As for McCartney, he was really unfocused with some high moments. And I don't care what anyone says, I love My Love to the point where it was Mrs. Bubbler and I's wedding song.

Truthfully, though, all four of them were pretty unfocused once they broke up.

5. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Choosing who is better McCartney or Lennon is a feeble exercise ???
    Their different styles and personalties helped make them such a tremendous songwriting team.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The Plastic Ono Band album was one great record, which includes the song I consider by far the best song John wrote post-Beatles: "Working Class Hero." Most of the rest of his solo output was fairly mediocre, in my opinion.

As for Paul, "Band On The Run," was very good, but the rest of his solo stuff reeks, to put it politely.

George did have the most consistent solo career -- nothing truly outstanding, but nothing bad, either -- and as mentioned earlier, his work with the Wilburys was excellent.

Not impressed with anything Ringo did as a solo artist.

7. Let me make a comparison based on your name, newbie.
    Lennon is Ruth. McCartney is Gehrig.
    Gehrig is an all-time great and there's no shame in saying you enjoy his game, but if you're taking him over Ruth, you're nuts.
    But you are right that the best is when they are teammates.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sweeeeeeet. :D

Seriously, I feel like I don't even know half you people. How can you not like the Beatles, either together or solo? I weep for you all.

9. I was actually thinking of you when I wrote that, Buck.
    I figured you'd come back with some old player (or two to make the Fab Four) I'd never heard of to complete the analogy.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Ram" by McCartney was very good, very Beatlesque, and also included "Too Many People," the poppy ditty which set Lennon off on "How Do You Sleep?" (McCartney laid the feud to rest with the Lennon pastiche/tribute/salute "Let Me Roll It" on BOTR.)

"BOTR" was tremendous, a progression of McCartney's White Album stuff. After that he slid gradually into relative mediocrity. "Tug of War" in 1982 was very good, however, produced by George Martin and containing McCartney's truly touching elegy to Lennon, the "Eleanor Rigby"-like "Here Today."

The rest of his career up until now has been spotty -- he'll put out a decent album every few years, like "Flowers In The Dirt" with Elvis Costello filling the Lennon role.

Harrison blew his creative load with "ATMP," although his self-named album in 1979 featuring "Blow Away" was not bad. "Cloud Nine" in 1989 was an astonishing comeback, and he kept it up with his very strong contributions to the Wilburys, but George never really seemed interested in having a continuing performing career.

"Ringo" in 1973 was a very good pop album, featuring contributions by all three Beatles.

The 1973-74 Beatles album, "Sgt. Pepper Returns," would have been tremendous, powered primarily by Ringo and Paul, and leading off with "I'm The Greatest," featuring the return of Billy Shears.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the story has no previous reference to "Nixon" when it says this:
    "He also cheated in her presence. The night of Nixon's re-election, the lecherous Lennon was in rare form "

Whose re-election? Mojo Nixon's? I presume Skid Roper was his running mate.

12. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Personality-wise:
    If we must use the comparison of the Yankees duo, Jr. Member, I'd say McCartney would be Ruth because he was the more devil-may-care one out of those two Beatles, and Lennon would be Gehrig because he was the more studious one of the two lead songwriters from the Fabulous Four.

Boy, you're going to carry that weight, carry that weight a long time ... You never give me your money, you only give your funny ;D faces ...

Draft saved Draft deleted