1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New book claims John Lennon was an abusive deviant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This from someone who thinks "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is good.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Then you'd be missing a lot of really good music.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" is one of the landmark albums of the 1970s, directly presaging punk and raw confessional albums such as "Nebraska."

"Imagine" had more tuneful pop songs and Phil Spector's syrupy production, but had nowhere near the impact of JL:pOB.

"Some Time In New York City" proved that John needed an editor (or an independent collaborator) and Yoko needed one a lot more.

"Mind Games" was unfocused and trendy. Lennon tried to catch up with 1970s top 40, moderately unsuccesfully.

"Walls and Bridges" was a return to self-analytical introspection, a bit wittier and more acessible than "Mind Games," but by now Lennon was inviting guys like Elton John and David Bowie for guest cameos, and it seemed they were taking pity on him.

After the househusband retirement, the John songs on "Double Fantasy" and "Milk and Honey" (recorded all at once, but "Honey" wasn't released until 2 years after Lennon's murder) would have made one tremendous solo album -- ranking with the best of the Beatles' solo work.

4. I think "All Things Must Pass" is still the best Beatles solo album, and George's work with the Wilburys is pretty damn fine, too.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I know him, and he does.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the worst name drop in the history of the board. :D

7. dooley_womack1

Never mind, sugar, we can watch the early movie.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So if you made crap that hit, that was OK?
    By this standard, ABBA is awesome.

9. dooley_womack1

Abba is, but it's not John Lennon. Listen, one can enjoy a hamburger and at the same time acknowledge it's no filet mignon

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

There's no disputing Lennon was an innovative artist, both on vinyl and on canvas.
    The guy was a brilliant sketch artist. Yoko, for all her loathable (sp) qualities, happened to be in the right place at the right time to steal this artist from mainstream citizenry. Sad, but it happened.
    All that solo stuff from John, Paul and George, and much less (but a little) from Ringo - it all has value and relevancy.
    George was the strongest and most productive, later on.
    But together and separate, these four were and are the most dynamic and influential musicians in rock/pop history.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did not know he bedded his mother. I am now going to go to the corner and sit with my arms around me knees and rock... wow...

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He merely wanted to. WANTED to, according to the Post article.
    And even so, he said this perhaps to sensationalize the actual idea.
    Much easier to do once she's gone and there's no chance.

Is the article bizarre and sad? Yes, indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted