1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New board

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by JayFarrar, Dec 24, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

First!
    Truly it is a Christmas miracle.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't see the point of separating this out.

Except maybe to curtail the responses from people who think it's some sort of badge of honor that they refuse to use blogs or Twitter.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I have been writing almost exclusively for websites and producing online content for the past year. Like it or not, this is the direction media are heading.
    I welcome a place to discuss ideas of presenting stories and covering events for an online audience. I have discovered it's a little different than writing for newspapers and magazines.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I think this will be useful more as a technical forum than an abstract discussion of online journalism.

Many of us have been forced into positions where we need to know HTML, WordPress, a proprietary CMS, find a third-party tool to host an audio slideshow, etc.

I think this could be a place to pose the questions like "someone recommend a good, free, online poll site" or "has anyone installed a Facebook 'like' box on their prep sports site" without cluttering up the JTO board.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great idea for a new board, mods. I also like how everything is broken out on the homepage. Should increase traffic on the workshop, and design boards!

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agree with Mustang. I tell the newbie reporters that 30 years ago, one of the perks of being sports editor at my college paper was getting an electric typewriter! Now we've got laptops, iPhones, Facebook, Twitter, live blogging, air cards and who knows what they'll come out with tomorrow (literally!),

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

BYH will be along to tell kids to get off his lawn in no time.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The cool part for me is that I'm a veteran on this: 13.5 years. Hard to believe.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

That's awesome, SF. Hopefully you can weigh in often.

10. Not helpful, from my perspective, to create an "online journalism" forum separate from the strictly observed "journalism topics only" one. Maybe, instead, shift inanities unrelated to journalism, such as agate, how to handle phone calls from angry parents of the prep game you just covered, fax machine repair and operation, website design, and tweet-a-neering for 50-somethings in the one place and keep journalism topics in another. You could argue perhaps that not all journalism is online these days, but there is no debate that any act of journalism, from the whimpers to the bombs, reverberate online, which is sort of my point against the splitting of hairs and/or forums.

Draft saved Draft deleted