1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Blogger at Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by anotherbucket4monsieur, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Apparently Sports Illustrated has just hired a full time tennis blogger. She runs an irreverent tennis blog called 40 Deuce- http://cowbell.typepad.com/ and it looks like she has more than 4,000 followers on twitter. It looks like a pretty fun blog, but according to the site, her work experience is in the legal profession. Sounds like si.com is going in an interesting new direction....

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by, New Blogger at Sports Illustrated!

(Waving at Luggies too)

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They should call it "Throwing a deuce"

4. Wish it was me! Sadly, it isn't. I'd kill to have a job at S.I.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"An interesting new direction" for SI.com would involve NOT hiring a bunch of random bloggers.

6. So they've hired a lot of people with no experience in journalism?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Creosote. Paging ...

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Random blogging is journalism? A 'friend' of mine has a snowboard industry site - I mean, blog, and he feels he is a good writer. I slam my head against the wall every time I try to read it. Sadly, he has a ton of followers/supporters and is well known.

Without turning this into another blogging vs journalism debate, is it just an online piece she does for SI or her blog linked to SI?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The OP was making the opposite point.

I don't know why this is a thread, but I happen to think Luke Winn (college basketball), Andy Staples (college football) and Zach Lowe (NBA) are outstanding. Piotr, I really hope you weren't pointing at Lowe with that comment. He has produced some of the highest-level thinking on basketball on the Internet.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, LeBron is good.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Fixed

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I love our entire senior staff, but our bloggers (pretty much all younger) are doing some of the best, most fun work we do, generating tons of readership. Some of it's necessary aggregation of the work of others, some of it's original content. They're generally great, and I'm as old school as they come, but I've pretty much come around on this point: Good is good, and it doesn't matter if you call them "a blogger." That's certainly not a stigma around here anymore; all you have to do is look at the daily numbers report.

Draft saved Draft deleted